Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Argon Problem

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ajlouni

ajlouni

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:11 AM

Dear guys,

Hope u all having a great day. I have an issue here that needs your opinions and help.
I work in petrochemical construction company; we use Argon in welding/purging. Unfortunately, the local and the only plant that used to supply us with Argon have had a fire incidents and it is now off-line. The time for the plant to recover is unknown and we are in a serious problem.

I work as a control engineer, just recently graduated, and they assigned me to investigate the usage of Argon in the fabrication shop and the possible alternatives. Argon is used heavily in purging and as shielding gas. Large spools/pipes are fully filled with Argon during wielding especially for Stainless Steel pipes.

Could you please guys give me starting hints or if you have ever faced a similar problem.

Ajlouni

#2 indy

indy

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:45 AM

You are in trouble, Tig process welding requires argon as shielding gas, in my opinion, until you don’t get the argon, you have to change for another welding process such as smaw with small diameter electrodes in the first pass for good penetration welds without excess of penetration on the root.

luis marques