Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Naoh Scrubber Sox Nox Not Co2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 NZBen

NZBen

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:24 AM

I'm building a prototype system with a wet scrubber - I want the scrubber to cool the gases (approx 400deg C) - if it doesn't work out like this I can find other ways to cool it. But I also want the scrubber to remove as much SOx and NOx as poss without absorbing much of the CO2 in the stream, my CO2 content is around 30%, NOx around 0.1% and SOx around 0.2%. I have not much clue on what I'm doing so hoping someone will be able to help me.

I'm building the proto in 6" stainless tube with 3/4' lengths of 3/4" stainless tubing as a packing media the tower will be about 2M high total mass flow rate is around 100kg/hr. Working pressure will be around 5psi (don't you love people who mix metric with imperial measure!!!)

I was going to use a weak NaOH solution to help me capture the acid gases - I'm concerned if I make it too strong I'll have the CO2 being absorbed in it also - (I'm wanting the CO2 for other purposes)

Any help anyone could give me on this would be greatly received
Many thanks
Ben blink.gif

#2 NZBen

NZBen

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:26 PM

Just found out that the CO2 has an affinity to NaOH, any ideas on what would be best to do to remove as much SOx and NOx without the CO2 being taken out also? Cheers

#3 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:51 AM

I believe many amine solutions and probably other "mild" alkaline solutions are able to absorb SOx and some NOx without significant absorption of CO2. While I've never worked on such a unit, I know they are very common and you should be able to get good information on that approach.
Doug