Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Fluidpackages In Hysys

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 falling_star

falling_star

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:59 AM

Hi,

I am in a very confused state about choosing fluidpackages in HYSYS. So I was hoping to get opinions of members in this forum regarding this. What are the most suitable fluidpackaged for the following processes?
  • Azeotropic distillation of Ethanol using Benzene

• Production of Phenol using Cumene (Hock process)

Any advice regarding this will be very helpful!

Thanks,
falling_star

#2 abhi_agrawa

abhi_agrawa

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:20 PM

You have raised a very important point: which thermodynamic method to choose for simulation of a process. Suggest that you have a look at the following papers

“Don’t Gamble with Physical Properties for Simulations,” by E.C. Carlson, Chem. Eng. Prog. (October 1996) pp 35-46. This paper covers extensively of steps to be taken to choose a method that can be relied to give a reasonable prediction.

“Uncovering the realities of simulation,” by R. Agarwal, Y.K. Li, M.A. Satyro and A. Vieler, Chem. Eng. Prog. (May 2001 and June 2001). This paper was in two part and deals with important things to take care of while doing simulations.

For an azeotropic system, like Ethanol and Benzene, I'd say an activity coefficient model, like NRTL or UNIQUAC should give decent predictions.

Hope this help,
abhishek

#3 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:03 PM

Dear Abhishek,
Indeed a good information for new learners.These two articles are really helpful.
Thanks & Regards,
Padmakar Katre

#4 falling_star

falling_star

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:46 AM

QUOTE (abhi_agrawa @ Oct 14 2007, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have raised a very important point: which thermodynamic method to choose for simulation of a process. Suggest that you have a look at the following papers

“Don’t Gamble with Physical Properties for Simulations,” by E.C. Carlson, Chem. Eng. Prog. (October 1996) pp 35-46. This paper covers extensively of steps to be taken to choose a method that can be relied to give a reasonable prediction.

“Uncovering the realities of simulation,” by R. Agarwal, Y.K. Li, M.A. Satyro and A. Vieler, Chem. Eng. Prog. (May 2001 and June 2001). This paper was in two part and deals with important things to take care of while doing simulations.

For an azeotropic system, like Ethanol and Benzene, I'd say an activity coefficient model, like NRTL or UNIQUAC should give decent predictions.

Hope this help,
abhishek

Thank you very much Abhishek! But still I'm searching for the journals you have mentioned. I searched for it in the "American chemical society" database and in my university online library. Please let me know where you go these journals. Any database which requires Athens usename and password is accessible to me.

Thank you very much!

#5 falling_star

falling_star

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:51 AM

Sorry to bother you. i just found "Don’t Gamble with Physical Properties for Simulations" by just using Google! All the time I was looking in the various databases available to me. anyway thanks for all the help!

#6 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:35 AM

Hello falling_star,

You can find some problem-related information at:

http://www.kolmetz.c...rticle-030.html
http://www.kolmetz.c...rticle-029.html

Also, the following article might be of some help to you:

[attachment=592:Selectio..._Methods.pdf]