Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Emergency Valve Selection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 daiweisc

daiweisc

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:25 AM

I am wanting to select a emergency shutoff valve in accident operation.
But I have no idea of the emergency valve. Could you tell me the ways to select the emergency valves and how to choose the type of emergency valve?
I normally see the emergency valve is ball valve. Why?
Thank you in advance.

#2 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:26 PM

With so little information, I can only provide a very general commentary regarding the subject.

Ball valves, like globes and several other types of valves are commonly used as isolation or block valves. This is because they are fairly robust and reasonably priced valves and can provide many years of satisfactory service if properly chosen. My assumption is that you would want quick isolation in the event of an emergency. (That doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.) Ball valves, vis-a-vis, their main competitors the rising stem valves, offer the advantage of being quarter turn valves. Turn the valve handle just 90 degrees and the valve goes from fully open to fully closed. Thus you have the quick and the isolation characteristics in one, low price package.

QUOTE (daiweisc @ Oct 18 2007, 06:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why?

Why not?
Doug

#3 JoeWong

JoeWong

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (djack77494 @ Oct 18 2007, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With so little information, I can only provide a very general commentary regarding the subject.

Ball valves, like globes and several other types of valves are commonly used as isolation or block valves. This is because they are fairly robust and reasonably priced valves and can provide many years of satisfactory service if properly chosen. My assumption is that you would want quick isolation in the event of an emergency. (That doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.) Ball valves, vis-a-vis, their main competitors the rising stem valves, offer the advantage of being quarter turn valves. Turn the valve handle just 90 degrees and the valve goes from fully open to fully closed. Thus you have the quick and the isolation characteristics in one, low price package.

QUOTE (daiweisc @ Oct 18 2007, 06:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why?

Why not?
Doug

daiweisc,

Emergency Shutdown Valve (SDV) shall have the following features as minimum :
i) Tie Shut Off (TSO) - minimum leakage
ii) Fast action (Full Open - Full Close) - Emergency demand
iii) Minimum passing - minimize overpressure of LP system and spurious trip
iv) Minimum disturbance / turbulence - minimize unnecessary energy lost
v) Firesafe
vi) Reliable / Maintainable / reasonable cost...

Ball valve as compare to other type of valves (globe, gate, butterfly, plug, etc) meeting the most of above criteria.

i) TSO - Ball valve so far the best (Doug indicated as isolation...)
ii) Fast action - Quarter turn feature required minimum closure time (Doug indicated as quick action)
iii) Minimum passing - Most ball valve present equal% characteristic. 10% valve closure give 20% flow reduction, 20% closure give 50% closure...
iv) Minimum disturbance / turbulence - Reduced Bore (RB) ball valve having hole in the middle would minimize flow direction change and turbulence. Full Bore (FB) ball valve virtually like a pipe- significantly minimize energy lost
v) most ball valve has firesafe feature
vi) History shows ball valve is reliable / maintainable...

I believe beauty of ball valve are more than those i have highlighted. Those who are aware, please drop note here...

Nevertheless, ball valve may not good for certain services such as fluid contain solid, potential polymerization fluid, etc. Those other type of valve such as plug and gate may be used.

JoeWong

#4 daiweisc

daiweisc

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:43 AM

Thank you.
I have some idea of emergency valve.

#5 JoeWong

JoeWong

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:37 AM

All,

In additional to above, please read this article for additional features required for a Shutdown Valve.

JoeWong

#6 gad480

gad480

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:22 PM

please what about shutdown valve closure time and which code can give me this answer?

thank you for care.

#7 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:29 PM

gad480:

This thread and topic is almost 2 years old and is, for all practical purposes, closed for the O.P.

Please start a new thread with this topic in the Professional Industrial Forum - not here.

I will delete this post after a couple of days.