Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pump Performance Curve

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Manoj Kumar Jindal

Manoj Kumar Jindal

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:23 PM

i am electrical engineer with 16 years experiance.

if delivery pipe is of diameter less than or more than the outlet dia of the pump, will there be any effect on the pump performance curve.

i believe the head should increase if delivery pipe dia is less and vice versa but not able to quantify the effect (reduction / increase)

please help

manoj

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:34 PM

Hello Manoj,

The pump curve is completely indepent of your system and your downstream (or upstream) piping. It describes the characteristics of a particular pump (Q vs H). The only thing that you should be concerned about is the pressure drop of this (new) downstream piping configuration, and if this new configuration will affect your pump operation in terms of matching process requirements.

Regards,

#3 Rama

Rama

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:21 PM

Dear Manoj,

What is your problem exactly?

Yes, if you decrease the pipe dia, the pressure at the delivery of the pump shown by a gauge would be higher; If it is a centrifugal pump, it will probably give lower output (flow). (and Vice-versa) The pump performance curve or Characteristic curve as it is known as, can indicate at which point the pump is working if you know the delivery head.

If your problem is inadequate flow, then you have to redesign the pipe so that the pump head matches the flow you need. (This is where your system curve meets the pump curve.)

You have to remember that the motor (Power) should be adequate for the new duty point.
Once you clarify your problem may be I can suggest a solution.

You may contact me at ramleela108@yahoo.com if you prefer.

Ram.