Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Valve Selection Instrucalc 5.1 Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 papaya

papaya

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:18 AM

Been playing around with Instrucalc 5.1 on Control valve selection.

A few questions:

1.What is FL @ % Flow? Is it the % of valve opening or something else, as on 1 example the % actually increases from .9 (100% flowrate) to .93 (50% flowrate) & 0.97 (10% flowrate). The higher the flowrate lower the FL %

However I was reading at some datasheet they were giving "Travel Open %" 74%@ 100% flowrate & 68%@100% flowrate, the percentage seems to be lower with lower flowrates.

I would like to know if there's any relations between this FL% and Travel Open %.

Normally how much percentage is ideal for max flowrate?

2.What are the meanings of Style Fd & Rated Kc at Valve info.

3.On the Output data, sometimes it gives Normal, while other times it gives Cavitation, Flashing, Incipent Cavitation. I was told these were result of Process data and we cannot do much about it on the Valve sizing but rather than the interior design of the Valve itself. Am I correct?

4.Is it a rule of thumb to use Linear Contour for Liquids and Equal % Contour for Gases?

Also is there a easy reference Valve Chart I can find on the web, the Valve sizing tutorial here only have Equal % Chart. I tried looking in books like Fisher Control Valve Book but couldn't find it.

Thanks.