Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Project Related To Global Warming..

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 kunal_gulati

kunal_gulati

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:01 PM

hey frnz.. i need to do a project related to global warming.. my mentor wants me to bring some new concepts or think a bit off the track .. so that it might be of some use for the future..

so plz help n tell me which way i shud proceed... i m going thru the discussions on global warming alredy posted on this forum to get knowledge about the content.. but i want ur opinions .. which path shud i follow.. and how shud i proceed

#2 Adriaan

Adriaan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:01 AM

a.) In the current issue of WIRED (American magazine) there is an articlo on global warming which does not follow the common thread of such articles. So read WIRED.

b.) If not for the industrial revolution - so some say - we would be in a mini ice age right now. We are in fact still feeling the after effects of the LAST ice age; Scotland is still slowly rising (the ice masses made Scotland sink by their weight)

c.) Try and put a value on the effect of HUMAN actions and compare that value to NATURAL and / or PHYSICAL effects;

- the solar cycle (the amount of energy the sun puts out varies over time)
- the amount of dust a volcano (Mount St Helens was fairly recent) puts up, the energy of volcanic outbursts
- etcetera

The human factor might not be as significant as some want us to believe. Global temperature cycles are nothing new (ice ages, volcanic activity etcetera) and I think that the human component is overrated. Which is NOT to say that we shouldn't limit our energy consumption (and use crude oil for better things than burning it to move tinned humans)!

d.) Humanity has in a very real sense cleaned up its act over the last decades; rivers have become clean enough for fish again, cities are cleaner than they used to be (both in no small part thanks to sewers and sewage treatment fascilities) [well except for FINE DUST of course].

The rising price of fuel should be good for the environment as it forces people to become more efficient energy users.

Waste (one use packaging) is a problem, landfills are incredibly stupid as a way to deal with waste material. Recycling requires separated waste collection (biodegradables seperately, harmfull [think batteries and chemicals] materials seperately, specific recyclables [paper, cloth] seperately and the remainder [which would be packaging materials and whatnot] as the final stream). But recycling saves RESOURCES (less wood needed for new paper when you recycle paper, for example) and ENERGY and is thus better for the environment.

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:55 AM

Global warming is a scientific issue today and regardless of which side of the debate a person is on, the earth’s climatic conditions are changing.This is an excellent topic for a class or a student to study as a science project.
Learning Goals:
* Learn about scientific issues relevant to global warming, such as temperature,the carbon cycle, and how different scientists often develop different theories on the same data.
* Come to understand how global warming and the political and economic issues around it will affect different countries.
* Investigate the causes of global warming.
* Synthesize their knowledge in a presentation.
Teaching Materials:
* Introduction to the Global Warming Issue
* How Does Temperature Change?
* What Makes Earth Warm?
* Addressing Climate Change
--------------------------------------
rosejenifar
Influencer

#4 javeline

javeline

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:52 AM

Hi
Global Warming or Climate Change, measurable increases in the average temperature of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and landmasses. Scientists believe Earth is currently facing a period of rapid warming brought on by rising levels of heat-trapping gases, known as greenhouse gases, in the atmosphere.