Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Overall Mass Balance In Petrochemical Plant

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 dmu82

dmu82

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:41 AM

I wanted to know how overall mass balance is to be done in industry.

Thanks for your reply

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:12 AM

DMU82:

I find it exceedingly difficult to understand how you can obtain employment and function as a “Process Engineer” in an Indian Petrochemical company and not have full knowledge and domination of such basic Chemical Engineering subjects as:

1) Overall Process Energy and Material Balances;
2) The creation of a complete Process Energy and Material Balance;
3) Complete understanding of how (and why) a Process Energy and Material Balance is done

I hope some of our Forum’s senior Indian Chemical Engineers can jump into this thread and make some comments. Frankly, I don’t believe your claim that you are a degreed Chemical Engineer in India that has simply “forgotten” what you were taught.

#3 PKS

PKS

Gold Member

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

Respected Art

We learn a lot, technical, common-sense, ethics and lot more, when we read your replies but this time the use of "INDIAN", again and again in your reply is not appropriate.

Regards
PKS

#4 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:28 PM

This post is more than 18 months old but for some reason you have digged it out, and making inappropriate comments now. If you read Art's reply more throughly while trying to be less passionate than you are, you can see that there was no bad intent from Art, or any kind of offensive writing.

On the other hand, if you read the original post from your country mate, you should really ask yourself whether that can be considered as a serious post from one Process Engineer: no introduction, no background, no explanation whether he had made some efforts by himself in order to resolve mass balance calculations. Many of the forum members wouldn't even bother to post a reply on such query.

If anyone thinks that - speaking from an engineering point of view - "harsh" replies are personal and offensive in any way, he should do the homework first before asking from other forum members to do complete his task. I would say that is something offensive to the forum members - not the replies such is the comment from Art Montemayor.

Best regards,

#5 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:28 AM

PKS,

I would like to add my 2 cents (sorry, can't use 2 paise because the meaning is conveyed better with cents rather than paise) to this post. I too am an Indian and take pride in it. However, I don't carry it as a badge on my shirt. The respect and affection I have garnered on this forum is simply unbelieveable. This forum is meant for professionals as well as engineering students. A certain amount of logic has to go in any question put on the forum.

Vague questions would confuse, confound and irritate any engineering professional. Engineering is exact`and not abstract like the arts. And based on this, Art Montemayor's response to the OP was completely justified.

And as professionals we are supposed to take criticism and praise in the right spirit. There is no need to go overboard because of either.

Hope as an Indian you would understand.

Regards,
Ankur.

#6 PKS

PKS

Gold Member

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:38 PM

Dear Zauberberg

I only stress on the point that, if necessary, we shall point out the person or his/her quotes. No need to highlight the "COUNTRY". I hope my intentions for the post are clear and also hope that this non-tech discussion will end here.

PKS