Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Reducing Elec Consumption With Turbine

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 UT_BKC

UT_BKC

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:04 PM

Does anyone have any experience with putting in steam-turbines to reclaim heat generated during your process?

The plant I work at mainly handles solids. On each of our units we have an afterbuner to destroy the organics that we remove. We generally want to remove heat from the process rather than preheat incoming solids/gases, so HX to preheat isn't useful. We do have a boiler, but hopefully we won't be using it all in about 2 weeks (replacing/upgrading).

I was trying to think of a way to recover all this wasted heat. I have no experience with generating electricty through steam turbines, though. I don't know if we even generate enough heat to make it worth it, or if they make turbines small enough.

We have 2 afterburners that usually operat ~850 C plus one that operates ~500C, ATM pressure, with 2500 SCFM per burner. Does anyone have any advice, experience, or literature resources that could help me determine if the money saved generating electricity would be worth the cost of all the equipment?

Thank you.

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:34 AM

Basically your waste heat can be used as power generated,but your waste heat should be converted to steam (let say 24 barg steam saturated). How to convert waste heat to steam,? at top of furnace you must install economizer for absorp heat and generate steam. function of Process waste heat same as boiler unit. If steam already there, steam can be used as power generation via steam-turbine.

Goodluck
Asep