Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Control Valve Position

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 mohammad reza

mohammad reza

Gold Member

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:54 AM

for which reasons in some plants, control valve is located in vertical position?

thanks

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE (mohammad reza @ Apr 12 2009, 05:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
for which reasons in some plants, control valve is located in vertical position?

thanks

May be due to space shortage in horizontal dierection!

#3 ARAZA

ARAZA

Gold Member

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

Hi There,

I agree with Fallah. I'm in the Pilot plant business and most of my plants go on a module and have a limited space and hence we have to assemble the whole plant in a limited space. I've seen most of our control valve installed vertically and there is no problem in doing that as far as the perfomance goes. But there might be maintenance issues such as removing the big control valve for repair etc..

ARAZA

#4 Jiten_process

Jiten_process

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:22 AM

ARAZA

Dont we have to consider process implication like additional liquid head imposed on control valve??

It means while giving downstream pressure we have account the pressure due to liquid vertical head if any....right?

#5 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:45 AM

I would think that the vertical position is preferred. With a control valve sitting vertically, actuator above valve, maintenance should be easier. Remove the actuator and you can lift out the valve trim while losing none or at least a minimum quantity of what's in the valve. I'd think that any other position would entail greater likelihood of lost material.

#6 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:30 AM

QUOTE (djack77494 @ Apr 21 2009, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would think that the vertical position is preferred. With a control valve sitting vertically, actuator above valve, maintenance should be easier. Remove the actuator and you can lift out the valve trim while losing none or at least a minimum quantity of what's in the valve. I'd think that any other position would entail greater likelihood of lost material.

Would you please answer to below questions:

-How is your suggestion to support the control valve in vertical position?

-Considering drain valves in upstream/downstream of control valves in horizontal position,may we have lost material when removing the valve trim in horizontal position in comparison to vertical position?

#7 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:28 AM

fallah,
I have seen many control valves situated vertically and supported by the associated piping. Even some pretty large CV's are done this way, though I can imagine that at some point it may be better to separately support the CV. I see no problem with drain valves. They should be mounted in the piping up and downstream of the CV and can be oriented vertically downward. I don't mean to suggest that mounting the CV vertically is the only or even the best way to do things. Probably the most common situation I have seen has the actuator mounted about 45 degrees from vertical, pointing towards where the operator would be. This allows for a bypass globe valve to be conveniently mounted directly above the body of the CV.