Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

How Useful Is Master's In Chemical Engineering?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 necrobutcer

necrobutcer

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:49 AM

Hi, I've posted this thread at other forums, but I have couple of questions,

1) I heard that there aren't many jobs that MS ChE can do but BS can't does that mean it's hard to get a job or at least you can't expect a good pay if you take a job that can be done by BS ChE?

2) Is non-thesis Master's in ChE worth it? What kind of job will it get you? I'm planning to pursue it after B.S in chemistry (not chem.E)

3) If you graduate with B.S in chem, and get into master's in chem.E, do they let you take all the undergrad classes that you missed? Let's say if you took Differential equation in the undergrad, does it mean you don't have to take it at the grad school?

Sorry for being too verbose.

#2 AlertO

AlertO

Gold Member

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:17 AM

Dear,
i will answer you as follows.
1.the reason of that is because the baisic fundametal of studies are the same. Mater is only go in detail is some subjects.
2.the non-thesis Master is supplied who didn't want to extend to PhD, and avoid prolonging for more time because of thesis failure (especially the experiments).
3.basically the additional subjects are defined for B.Chem student, but not all. the main should be Heat& mass balance and unit operations.

Hope it'll be useful

#3 SSWBoy

SSWBoy

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:01 PM

For people who have gone to uni post 2000ish it is far far easier to become accredited with the ICheme if you've done a masters

#4 riven

riven

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:49 AM

My very opinionated experience

A taught or non thesis masters in chemical engineering is worthless for a new BSc . It is an extension from (for arguements sake) basic and intermediuate principles to expert level. This can be very very specific and restrictive for new students but useful for an experienced engineer. For example most engineers will not need to know much about clean manafacturing principles but if you want to become a senior pharmacutical production engineer this is a good option to take.

A thesis masters is a self formed work project whic regardless of the subject should teach you a lot about project management and of course the area you are studing.

I have never seen a use for PhD in engineering unless you want to go into acedemic research.

#5 necrobutcer

necrobutcer

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for the replies, everyone!
And yeah I don't think I want to do research for the rest of my life.
I've been deciding whether I should transfer now and change my major to ChemE or just graduate with Chemistry and go to master's in Chem.E. Either way it will take additional 1~2 years to finish b/c of engineering classes I've missed but I guess I'll go with former.

#6 chief wigam

chief wigam

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:50 AM

I have read this thread with interest as I too am considering further study. I have a degree in Chem Eng and 15 years operations/project management experience which I have had good results in but now am getting more into design with my new job. I want to refresh my memory on the fundamentals again from a design perspective.

Is there anyone out there who can recommend a course ? I would consider a postgraduate course or a short course. Distance learning would be preferred due to my location (Australia).

In particularm if there are any courses on design of combustion process equipment such as fired heaters, flares, incinerators, ovens, water bath heaters, etc that anyone knows of, especially by distance learning, please help by letting me know?

Edited by chief wigam, 29 January 2010 - 05:55 AM.

#7 isg247

isg247

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:49 PM

1) I heard that there aren't many jobs that MS ChE can do but BS can't does that mean it's hard to get a job or at least you can't expect a good pay if you take a job that can be done by BS ChE?

2) Is non-thesis Master's in ChE worth it? What kind of job will it get you? I'm planning to pursue it after B.S in chemistry (not chem.E)

3) If you graduate with B.S in chem, and get into master's in chem.E, do they let you take all the undergrad classes that you missed? Let's say if you took Differential equation in the undergrad, does it mean you don't have to take it at the grad school?

Hi,

I do not directly answer all of the three questions you posted, but I evaluate three important questions that might help you answer your original questions: "what's the market like for Chemical Engineers?"; "will I be accepted into an MS Chemical Engineering (CHE) program without an engineering background?"; "if I have a choice, should I go straight into an MS CHE program or should I first complete a BS CHE?"

CHE Market
An MS CHE initially opens more job options than a BS CHE, but experience usually makes up for the difference in the long run. Also, here's a link to the US government's website about the occupational outlook for Chemical Engineers and Engineers in general:

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm

MS CHE without an engineering background:

You will probably not be admitted into any certified MS CHE program without an engineering background. But don't feel bad if you don't have an engineering background; you'd be in good company. I knew at least two (2) classmates who completed their BS Chemistry only to return to undergrad to work on their BS CHE.

You might be able to take a few CHE classes while you're working on your BS Chemistry to build your engineering background. However, this might not be available at the school you'd like to attend. Ask the CHE department at your desired school (1) whether they require an engineering background for admission into their MS CHE program, and (2) what courses you should take that qualify as "engineering background."

Some insight that will help you decide whether to go straight into an MS Chemical Engineering (CHE) program or to first complete a BS CHE:

Assuming you are accepted into an MS CHE program without an engineering background, the school would probably require that you take some remedial courses to bring you up to speed. I understand that you might feel a little apprehensive about this situation; a BS Chemistry degree is one of the toughest academic programs in any university, and it's a little insulting to be required to take remedial undergraduate chemistry classes after finishing the PChem series.

While a BS Chemistry is a rigorous education, the training simply does not prepare you for engineering problems. You can know all about polymerization, NMR, and IR Spec, but if you can't apply basic chemistry to solve a basic Chemical Processes problem, you'd be in very tough spot.

See example problem on p. 77 PDF at website:

http://upload.wikime...g_Processes.pdf

If you know how to solve sophmore-level Chemical Processes problems like these, you're probably in pretty good shape. But few people - BS Chemistry grads or otherwise - can actually apply the chemistry they learned in undergrad to mass produce chemical compounds, which is one of the basic skills of the Chemical Engineer.

Again, this doesn't directly address all of your questions. I hope this helps anyway.

#8 rowanlim

rowanlim

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:01 PM

I'm graduating with Bsc in ChE & currently doing internship at a consultancy firm, I am looking for scholarship offers to do a postgrad degree in process eng, but I'm more interested in working immediately after my internship. So your questions are similar to what I had & I'll answer as best as I can:

1) It really depends on the kind of job you're looking for. If you're into research or academia then it's relevant, even necessary for you to pursue a MS ChE; in my country, a MS ChE can be in either research or coursework format. Like riven mentioned, a coursework MS is like an extension of your BS ChE: most of the coursework I've seen has a structured (rigid is how I see it) coursework (you'll learn more specific ChE subjects & other related subjects like project management, etc.) + a final yr project. A research one is like a massive thesis project: get a title, then for 2-3 yrs you will be conducting extensive research on that & produce a thesis.

If you want to work in the industry, then paper qualification (MS ChE) is not a priority. Having an MS ChE can get you a job but (depending on the company) you'll probably be starting at rock bottom with the other BS ChE level employees. Experience in the industry counts, and most of what you'll be doing at work will be completely new from what you did in your BS/MS ChE. So if you want to be an engineer in the industry, whether in design or production, then a MS ChE is, in my opinion, not worth the time/money/energy as a BS ChE is enough.

2) Yes, check with the institution if they will accept BS Chem students to study MS ChE; I do believe having a BS ChE is better if you wanna do a MS ChE because there are a LOT of fundamental, core subjects we have to learn as ChE students, which may take a lot of time & practice to understand. A non-thesis MS ChE (I assume is the coursework format which I've mentioned in (1)) can be useful but again, it depends on what kind of job you're looking for.

3) You will have to check with the institution on the coursework but I know they will be covering the core subjects in the 1st semester, incorporating new & more complex chapters in the subjects. Also check the pre-requisite subjects you need to complete before you can enroll in the MSc. I believe there are pre-master programs available to ensure you fulfill all the academic requirement of your intended MSc course.

#9 necrobutcer

necrobutcer

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:37 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone! Right now I'm torn btw going for 2nd B.S in ChemE or going for M.S in ChemE. I heard that getting second B.S looks bad on your resume though!

#10 rowanlim

rowanlim

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone! Right now I'm torn btw going for 2nd B.S in ChemE or going for M.S in ChemE. I heard that getting second B.S looks bad on your resume though!

Have you asked the institution if you can obtain an MSc in Chem E with a BSc in Chem?
So have you decided what kind of career you want to take?

#11 Adam_K

Adam_K

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

I'm not sure how things are in other countries, but in Australia doing a double degree shows that you have a lot of commitment and can work hard as you take the two degrees in a shorter time than doing them individually. A masters would be just as good though.

#12 cwjones88

cwjones88

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:24 AM

Yeah a M.S. is ALWAYS better than a B.S. Now just because you have a M.S. doesn't not mean you will get further in your career than somebody who just has a B.S. How far you get in your career is up to you and what you bring to the table but if your bringing a M.S. and competing against someone with a B.S. then you have got one up on that person in that category.