Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Alternate Energy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:53 AM

Although the traditional sources of energy like the fossil fuels and the crude oil has been found to be costly and replete with negative aspects, they still form a dominant source of energy. This can be attributed to the lack of awareness among the people about the other alternate energy sources like the renewable sources of energy. To promote the usage of renewable energy and to tap the huge potential present in the renewable energy sector, the world energy research was formed.

The use of fossil fuels has resulted in many negative consequences. It has led to severe pollution, political conflict, economic control and total dependence of countries that lack this natural resource. Now the countries are seeking to control this blind dependence on fossil fuels by adopting alternate sources of energy for their energy needs.

Over the years, many alternative renewable energy technologies have been researched and developed. These include solar, wind, bioenergy, geothermal energy as well as many others. These sources produce energy by converting the mechanical energy present in them to kinetic energy.

#2 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:52 AM

It is normal for initial posting to contain one or more questions. Do you have any queries?

Much of what you say is not proven or universally accepted. I hardly consider myself to be a global warming "deny-er" (you may disagree), but I don't feel the statement " found to be costly and replete with negative aspects" should go unchallenged. What are you conparing fossil fuels to when you make that statement? Wind and solar power?? Think again or get the facts. They will definitely not support your statement. Then there's the statement "This can be attributed to the lack of awareness". No, it can be attributed to economics given full awareness of the alternatives. I do agree with most of the other statements you make, especially concerning the vast array of negative consequences to having an oil dependent world economy. As I've said repeatedly, there are only two long range solutions to the world's thirst for energy that I have been able to identify. They are population reduction and nuclear energy. Both permit continuing increases in our quality of life, development of underdeveloped regions of the world, and satisfaction of our needs (as opposed to sacrifice and doing without). Of course, please continue with parallel efforts to develop additional options. Just don't throw stones at folks who want to drive a large car while being silent about people in undeveloped countries having twelve kids.

Edited by djack77494, 25 September 2009 - 08:53 AM.