Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Foaming In Absorber

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_kongsl_*

Guest_kongsl_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 12 June 2003 - 09:12 PM

content: Dear Cheresources;
I am currently trying to do a plant test on switching process water to stripper bottom to do solid scrubbing in an absorber. Previously, it was believed that using stripper bottom will create foaming in hte absorber. I would like to know how can the operations tell from the DCS or the control panel if foaming is happening during the test run? THis is to enable them to know there is foaming in advance before its too late. Is there something that will show in the pressure or temperature data if foaming has occured?

Hope you can help me with this. Thanks.

#2 Guest_sudeb_*

Guest_sudeb_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 15 December 2003 - 02:25 AM

hii
in any gas liquid mass transfer phenomena foaming is bound to happen..
anyway, that can be easily tracked from increse in Differential pressure (DP) reading in DCS. for excessive foaming occurences a continuousaddition of antifoam can be kept

#3 Guest_Ash_*

Guest_Ash_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 21 January 2004 - 09:11 AM

Hi

The increase in pressure drop is very sudden and erratic. The pressure drop flutuates violently and if no action is taken you can have a serious carryover problem.

Apart from addition of antifoam, the first action is to back-off from the feed rate to control the foaming.

#4 Scanguy

Scanguy

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:29 PM

You can perform a towerscan on it while performing your test. This can give you real time data as to the extent of the foaming during the test which can be relayed to the control room. The following is a real sample of a foaming tower. Similar information can be seen in packed beds as well.

Attached Files

#5 Kameswara Rao

Kameswara Rao

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 01:43 PM

In any gas liquid mass transfer phenomena foaming is bound to happen..
anyway, that can be easily tracked from increse in Differential pressure (DP) reading in DCS. for excessive foaming occurences a continuous addition of antifoam can be kept through metering pump.
The overhead knock out drum also should have raising and high level alarms.

#6 doolie

doolie

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 02:38 AM

greetings. our co2 absorber has delta p transmitters across each packed bed and tray section. as well as over-all delta p's. additionally, the quench and wash water streams we use to cool/clean the process gas with are monitored for conductivities.

yes i realize there is a long time gap between now and the last post.