Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Design A Packed Column Using Aspen Plus

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Dragos

Dragos

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:16 PM

Hello,

I am a student pursuing a Master's Degree in Env. Eng. and I have chosen for my final thesis SO2 reduction from a copper smelter using a packed tower. I want to do this design in Aspen Plus. I have chosen a mixture of air and SO2 (0.98, respectively 0.02 standard vol. fraction) and water/ammonia (0.8/0.2 mass-fraction) as feed streams entering a RadFrac column (see attachment). The problem is that I don't see the products of reaction in the liquid-out stream, despite defining the reaction. I am novice in Aspen Plus so please give me some advice. What do I do wrong?
Is there anything I need to add to the reactions? Products of reaction? Other flowsheet? Why do I get so much ammonia in the gas stream leaving the absorber? Why don't I see the ammonium sulfite in the liquid-out stream?
Please any help is highly appreciated!

Attached Files

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:13 AM

Hello,
Im also working with aspen plus and i wanted to check what u did. When i run ur simulation it gives eror and says :

FIRST ID: R-1 SECOND ID: GENERAL
REACTION NUMBER 1 IN REACTION R-1 DOES NOT SATISFY MASS
BALANCE. THE ABSOLUTE ERROR IS 18.015
CHECK STOICHIOMETRY/MOLECULAR WEIGHTS.
what i mean is i dont even get any results to discuss with u :s maybe u should check first ur reaction. I dunno maybe things im telling are not useful but lets see :D

Hello,

I am a student pursuing a Master's Degree in Env. Eng. and I have chosen for my final thesis SO2 reduction from a copper smelter using a packed tower. I want to do this design in Aspen Plus. I have chosen a mixture of air and SO2 (0.98, respectively 0.02 standard vol. fraction) and water/ammonia (0.8/0.2 mass-fraction) as feed streams entering a RadFrac column (see attachment). The problem is that I don't see the products of reaction in the liquid-out stream, despite defining the reaction. I am novice in Aspen Plus so please give me some advice. What do I do wrong?
Is there anything I need to add to the reactions? Products of reaction? Other flowsheet? Why do I get so much ammonia in the gas stream leaving the absorber? Why don't I see the ammonium sulfite in the liquid-out stream?
Please any help is highly appreciated!