Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pressure Vessel With Vacuum Inside, Thickness Calculation

pressure vessel vaccum

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Pankajtr

Pankajtr

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:19 AM

Hi, Im a final year student of mechanical engineering and I have a few doubts about my final year project, Im designing a vessel for process industry. In which I have to deal with internal vacuum.Which can go upto 0.001MPa.
Problem I am facing now is, For calculation of thickness of vessel for internal or external pressure,we can find by conventional formula of hoop stress or by codes.

But for vacuum,these formulaes , I found contradictory, as Pressure is total reverse in nature for vacuum.

So, please suggest me some, idea so that I can move forward. any suggestions will be great for me.

#2 Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

Gold Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:02 AM

Refer to ASME Pressure Vessel Code BPVC Sec VIII Rules for Construction of Pressure Vessels, Div 1,2,3.

#3 Pankajtr

Pankajtr

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:50 AM

Thanks for refereing, codes.

1) I've gone through the Sec.III Div 1, UG-27,28. In which they are norms for Wall thickness calculation.

But the problem remains the same,

Here also, in Stress equations, Thickness decreases as Pressure decreases.

But Thickness should increase as Vacuum increases (or Pressure decreases).

OR
May there may be any considerations for vacuum conditions,that I am not aware of.

I am trying to find such cases,hope will find that.

Anyways, guide me for this problem and thanks for suggestions.

Regards,
Pankaj

#4 kkala

kkala

Gold Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:22 AM

Cylindrical vessels in vacuum can fail because of buckling and relevant calculations are based on this concept (lobes, etc). A simple and rather clear presentation can be found in J. Coulson & J Richardson Chemical Engineering Volume 6, An introduction to Chemical Engineering Design, Pergamon Press; 1st edition 1983, a lot of editions up to date. Chapter 13 is devoted to mechanical design of process equipment, in which 5 pages refer to Design of vessels subject to external pressure. I believe this could help clarify your queries. The whole Chapter 13 is quite useful as an introduction to mechanical design.
The book is widely known, I do not think you will find difficulty in finding it in the library or among students of Chemical Engineering.