Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Material Youngs Modulus

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Leinster

Leinster

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:39 PM

I have a small clarification with regards to the Youngs Modulus of a material in this example steel.

Is the Youngs Modulus of a material usually directly linked to the Yield Strength of a material ie. higher Yield Strength = higher Youngs Modulus?

It would make sense to me if it were as the elongation of all steels are generally similiar at around 20%. This means that material deforms proportional to the stress being applied which forms the basis of Hookes Law however every reference I see for Youngs Modulus is that it is fairly fixed at 200 GPa for steel.

If the Youngs Modulus was not directly linked with the Yield strength and the higher strength steels had the same Youngs Modulus as the lower stregth steels then it would mean that the elongation of the steel would be far higher as it would be able to undergo more strain before breaking.

I look forward to some clarification on the matter.

Thanks

#2 Shivshankar

Shivshankar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:59 AM

Leinster,

Can you please clarify what is your problem?. By reading above 3rd paragraph anyone can get easily confuse.

I would like to advice to use below book for Material science and try to solve more problems to get understand better on young's modulus and yield strength.

William D. Callister: Materials Science and Engineering: get a new edition.

http://bcs.wiley.com/he-bcs/Books?action=index&itemId=0471135763&itemTypeId=BKS&bcsId=1188

Regards
Shivshankar