Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Checking Amine Column Hydraulics

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Thomas-pearl

Thomas-pearl

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

I'm working on a change of the flow (circulation) of amine absorption in existing column. This is a tray column. I want to check if the column diameter will be sufficient for a new conditions (greater circulation of amine). I draw attention to the parameters of a column such as fraction flooding  (at a known diameter) and rich amine load (MDEA 0.5 mol / mol). Are there any parameters of the column to which I should pay attention to?
I will be very greatful for any suggestions.
Regards,

#2 RockDock

RockDock

Gold Member

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:44 AM

Hydraulically, the fraction flooding is the main indicator of proper sizing of the amine absorber. If you maintain a flooding under 80%, you are very likely to be within the other more obscure constraints.

I would also add these process parameters to your list to monitor:

• Lean/Rich Approach H2S
  • Lean/Rich Appraoch CO2
  • Rich Loading
  • Reboiler duty/Rating (make sure the overdesign stays above 5%)
  • Reboiler vapor (make sure CO2 is below 5% in this stream
  • Lean/Rich Exchanger (maintain a reasonable temperature approach and fraction over design)

The above parameters, coupled with the fraction flooding will give you a very good picture of whether you can increase your circulation rate. I would recommend using the ProMax scenario tool to do this, as that would take a matter of minutes, as opposed to going through and doing each case manually.

#3 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:47 AM

Hi,

Overdesign percent on circulation flowrate in basic design stage, also is to be considered...

#4 Thomas-pearl

Thomas-pearl

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:06 AM

Hydraulically, the fraction flooding is the main indicator of proper sizing of the amine absorber. If you maintain a flooding under 80%, you are very likely to be within the other more obscure constraints.

I would also add these process parameters to your list to monitor:

• Lean/Rich Approach H2S
  • Lean/Rich Appraoch CO2
  • Rich Loading
  • Reboiler duty/Rating (make sure the overdesign stays above 5%)
  • Reboiler vapor (make sure CO2 is below 5% in this stream
  • Lean/Rich Exchanger (maintain a reasonable temperature approach and fraction over design)

The above parameters, coupled with the fraction flooding will give you a very good picture of whether you can increase your circulation rate. I would recommend using the ProMax scenario tool to do this, as that would take a matter of minutes, as opposed to going through and doing each case manually.

Thank's for your message, and very useful information. I'll pay attention to these parameters too.

#5 RockDock

RockDock

Gold Member

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:06 PM

No problem. Good luck!