Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Free Liquid Carryover In Separator

separators

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Rahimd

Rahimd

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:49 PM

Sirs,

I have a problem with a wet gas separator. In a dehydration unit, the regeneration gas after the dryers is a wet gas  that contains the adsorbed liquid in a dryers, this wet gas is cooled and then separate the free liquid of the gas in a separator, I have a carryover problems due to the gas oulet line has still remains os free liquid,  I suspect that the demister has a problem for bad design. Could you recommend me how to evaluate this problem? how to confirm that the desmister is not properly designed?

Regards,

Rahimd

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:10 PM

You can find what you need at my website. Just GOOGLE my name. If the software there doesn't answer your questions, then visit the links.

Bobby

Edited by Bobby Strain, 20 September 2014 - 07:11 PM.

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:58 AM

On top of Bobby's suggestion consider reading the documents attached

http://www.red-bag.c...sel-sizing.html.

Hope this helps
Breizh

Edited by breizh, 22 September 2014 - 01:09 AM.

#4 Rahimd

Rahimd

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:50 PM

Hi guys,

I did the rating case, I calculated the critical velocity whitch is an important factor, but the K value for a separator with a mesh pad? how can i find this value? Do i use the K value that shown in the GPSA which is 0.1

kind regards

#5 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:04 AM

1) The GPSA K Value is a good basis for an evaluation, but I do not find where 0.1 is suggested in GPSA for separators with mesh pad. 

2) I have observed mesh pads in service that were damaged, allowing vapor to bypass the mesh.

3) Vendors of mist elimination equipment can help you rate the expected performance of your separator and suggest improvements.

#6 Supriyo Mukherjee

Supriyo Mukherjee

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:46 AM

The main deciding factor while designing vapor liquid separator is K value.

We have been using the K value as 0.107 as per our standard vendor guideline for sizing the vessel. The Value of K is provided by the Demister supplier/manufacturer.

From our own designed vapor liquid separators what we have seen is this value of K used works absolutely fine for the Vessels.

There was no liquid carryover in the vessels.

Also the demister pads were in fine condition(seen during maintenance)

Find the allowable vapor velocity by using formula k((RHOliq-RHOvap)/RHO vap)^0.5

Use K=0.107

Use design velocity at around 85% for normal pressures(You may follow this from GPSA handbook).

#7 xavio

xavio

Gold Member

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:59 PM

Rahmid,

References on vapor-liquid separator are abundant, please dig a little deeper!

Check your vessel/demister ID with the above GPSA formula, if you find it is grossly undersized, then enlarge the vessel/demister.

Alternatively you may select vane type demister which allows higher velocity.

Still another choice, you may modify the inlet device so that momentum is reduced before entering the demister.

If you don't find it is undersized, then your demister might be broken, corroded, plugged, or displaced; replace it!

Good luck!

xavio