Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Kettle Reboiler Designe Rules - Position Weir, Height Weir, Liquid Lev

kettle reboiler designe rules weir immersion heaters regenerator co2 absprotion desorption dimension

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Otthigh94

Otthigh94

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 11:45 AM

Hello everyone,

I have been entrusted with the task of designing a Kettle Reboiler for a pilot plant where a mixture of MEA and water will be used for regeneration (CO2 absorption/desorption). The system comprises a stripper column with packing and an external Kettle Reboiler. A heating element with a length of 800 mm and a diameter of 200 mm (DN 200 flange connection) is already in place. The evaporator is intended to operate at a pressure of 2 bar absolute, with a maximum incoming liquid flow rate of 300 l/h. The temperature is set at 115 °C.

I have already conducted the general calculations and now plan to order the welding parts. However, I am uncertain about how to design the weir, including its height and the height of the liquid level above the heating element. Additionally, I am unsure about the appropriate liquid level above the heating element.

I hope that someone can assist me in clarifying these questions.

Edited by Otthigh94, 17 January 2024 - 11:46 AM.

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 03:05 PM

Decide how much liquid you want to cover the bundle. Usually this is minimum of 2 inches (50 mm). For foaming service you may want more liquid coverage, perhaps 3 or 4 inches. The liquid level will be higher farther away from the weir and fall as it approaches the weir. You can find simple equations to calculate height of liquid above a weir. To try to minimize liquid bypassing the tubes on the shell side, you can design a rectangular weir so that the flow is forced more to the center of the shell. Your shell should allow enough volume above the liquid level for vapor disengagement. Kettle reboilers are generally pretty forgiving, but there are a lot of details to specify. Look for heat exchanger design references on the internet and start reading. MEA reboilers are not uncommon so you might be able to find a go-by to help. Perhaps ask your heat exchanger vendor for advice also. They want to make a sale and want the exchanger to be successful. If you find a good partner, reward them with some business.

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 05:01 AM

Hi,

On top of Pilesar's recommendation I encourage you and others to use the search engine in this forum to support your query.

Attached a link on similar topic and replies from Art:

https://www.cheresou...s-for-reboiler/

Good luck

Breizh 

Reply to this topic