Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Flare System Operating Pressure (Superimposed Backpressure)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Kwaku

Kwaku

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:50 PM

We are in the process of designing a new flare system and need guidance on acceptable operating pressure to be used as design basis, this would be the constant superimposed backpressure (on a normal day) behind any PSVs that tie into the flare header. From reading a related discussion on this forum, I noticed a reference to API-521 which specifies a minimum design pressure (or MAWP) of 50psig for the flare header system (including the flare knockout pot). The operating pressure would really be dependent on the amount of flaring in the process, but is there any recommended operating pressure range so we can make adjusments to the pipe sizing in order to stay within this range? Thanks!

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:00 PM

The sizing and pressure are determined by the maximum relief load. That is where you start.

Bobby

#3 Kwaku

Kwaku

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for your response Bobby. Just to check if I understand your guidance correctly: So assuming the maximum relief load is pool fire scenario (global), I'd calculate the built up pressure for this load, and check how much margin I have between this value and the system MAWP, this will tell how much room I have for the normal operating pressure?

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:35 PM

Almost. Then ascertain that the selected size is OK for some low set pressure valves.

Bobby

#5 Kwaku

Kwaku

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:13 AM

Thanks Bobby, this helps a lot.