Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Test Pressure For Vacuum Lines

vacuum test pressure

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Yajnavalkya

Yajnavalkya

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:00 AM

Dear Members

Please help me out with the value of Test Pressure for Vacuum Lines. I couldn't find any direct reference for Vacuum Testing in ASME B 31.3 2010.

Regards

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:44 AM

This is very interesting subject. I could not find the correct reference myself in any of the ASME standards.

In one company where I used to work earlier, for process vacuum piping we actually applied strength test at 100 kPag. The concept behind is that the same differential pressure is applied across the pipe wall, just in reversed direction. Although some industry experience shows that piping joints will leak more under vacuum than under positive pressure.

The only relevant code for vacuum piping I found in published NASA files (see attached). Perhaps the best way forward is to get in touch with piping manufacturer - it doesn't cost you anything.

Attached Files

#3 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:37 AM

Yajnavalkya,

Vacuum inside a line is a sort of "External Pressure"; then you can apply following fact from ASME B31.3 for your case:

304.1.3 Straight Pipe Under External Pressure

"To determine wall thickness and stiffening requirements for straight pipe under external pressure, the procedure outlined in the BPV Code, Section VIII, Division 1, UG-28 through UG-30 shall be followed,...."

#4 Yajnavalkya

Yajnavalkya

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:32 AM

Mr. Fallah

The piping I am talking about is only under vacuum sir, so I thought I might find something more of a a direct reference.

I also found this to be somewhat similar to my question:

B31 CASE 185
Use of Standard Helium Leak Test for a Vacuum-Only Piping System (Para. 345), Page C-11 of ASME B 31.3 2010.

But this isn't a straight forward statement like the min 1.1 times design pressure for pneumatic testing.

However, I am Still stuck.