Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Methanol, Ethanol, And Ammonia Formation In Steam Methane Reformer Hyd

smr hydrogen production methanol ethanol ammonia

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 King12345

King12345

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:24 AM

Hi !

I am currently doing research on VOC emmisions in steam during the Hydrogen Production in A Steam Methane Reforming Plant.

I am trying to find a way track (within a reasonable degree of error) the unwanted Methanol ,Ethanol, and Ammonia by products from this process. 

Currently, I am focusing on the Methanol formation. (Note: I am a Mechanical not a Chemical Eng Student)

My idea is to attempt to calculate the formation of methane given the different plant operating conditions.

(I.E S/C Ratio , Temperature , Pressure, catalyst, Flow Rate)

So far, my theory is the formation of unwanted methane is jointly cause by the reformer reaction and Water gas shift reaction in our High Temp shift Reactor.  

How helpful do you believe trying to calculate the rate of methanol synthesis would be to my efforts? 

Can anyone shed some insight on if I am headed in the right direction?

Thanks !!

#2 S.AHMAD

S.AHMAD

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 786 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:29 AM

Hi King

Based on my knowledge and experience in steam reforming, the formation of methanol, ethanol and ammonia are too small and we can safely assume negligible.

Please take note that methanol and ammonia reactions are exothermic (i.e generate heat) while steam reforming reaction is endothermic (require heat)This means that the catalyst and operating conditions are not favorable for methanol and ammonia reactions to take place.

Hope the above short comment helps.

S.Ahmad

#3 King12345

King12345

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:51 AM

Thank You for Your Response !

I agree, the issue is we are sending our vent steam samples to be tested for VOC emission compliance and have seen traces of ammonia , Methanol and Ethanol. The amount is very small, being measure in parts per million. When comparing test in our current steam vent samples to samples a year prior, we see a noticeable increase of VOC content in our emissions that is causing an issue with our permit regulations.      

#4 S.AHMAD

S.AHMAD

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 786 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:25 PM

Hi King

Then what you need is to discharge the vented gas to flare system with scrubber in the right location.

However if the concern is ammonia/methanol in sour water system then you need sour water stripping.

S.ahmad

#5 King12345

King12345

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:25 AM

Thank You So much for your Help !!

Also, any idea how I could quantify the small amounts of ammonia/methanol concentrations?