Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Weight

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 process101

process101

Gold Member

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:39 AM

what will be the weight of 1MMCFD Gas at 0.6 gravity.
AND how to find the weight? IS there any thumb rule
or just do the calculation.

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 12:50 PM

Process:

There are NO RULES OF THUMB for STUDENTS.

The faster you understand that phrase, the better your life will be as a student. Rules of thumb are for experienced professionals who have done the work and walked the miles. They know the theory and how to apply it - and when NOT TO APPLY IT. You don't --- at least not yet. So forget about "Rules of THumb" and simply do your assignment in the best and most logical way that you can exert.

That is what is expected out of you as a Student and that is what you will be judged on. No self-respecting professor or University is ever going to ask you how many "Rules of Thumb" you know or know about.

I hope the above helps to re-orient you on student priorities and what you should be focusing on during this interim in a university.

#3 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (process101 @ Jun 13 2008, 06:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what will be the weight of 1MMCFD Gas at 0.6 gravity.
AND how to find the weight? IS there any thumb rule
or just do the calculation.

The very thought that you would be seeking a "Rule of Thumb" for this calculation is disturbing. As Art indicates, you'll come to know of any applicable R.O.T. when the proper time comes. That is when you know all about how to do your calculations the right way, from first principles.

BTW, I really hope you know how to do this calc OR you tell me you're just entering engineering school. Assuming the 0.6 gravity refers to a gas's specific gravity (i.e. relative to air), this is a most elementary calculation. Apply the ideal gas law,

PV=nRT or PVM=mRT

The end result will be a mass flowrate, not a weight. If you are a beginning student then please indicate that in a repost and you'll get the help you need. Tell us the pressure and temperature if you repost.