Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Distillation With Shell And Tube Heat Exchanger Weight Estimation Shee

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Arbaaz Shaikh

Arbaaz Shaikh

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 02:36 AM

For time saving

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 08:10 AM

Our Industrial Forum just received one of the most deficient opening threads I've seen.

It consists of two attached Excel worksheets - made by an "author" named WorkPC.  We have no idea why these presumed fabrication cost estimating workbooks were attached since there is no basic data or explanation in the thread - and much less a scope of work.

Who ever went to all the labor and time to prepare these estimating sheets must have had a purpose and goal.  However, we are not made aware of them.  Nor do we receive a query or description with their submittal.

This type of cost estimating is something that Chemical Engineers are not a part of.  It is a tool for a heat exchanger fabrication shop and shared with their sales and business office as well as procurement department.  It is out of the sphere or expertise of our Forums.  They are interesting to know that they exist and a curiosity.  But of no value or application to a Chem E.  The workbook doesn't even contain an identity of the TEMA type, nor a detailed fabrication drawing to illustrate each of the working exchanger components.  Weird - and very unprofessional.

What is of significance is that whoever went to so much trouble in compiling these forms, doesn't have the time, interest, or courtesy to explain what this thread is meant to them or a detailed explanation.  An explanation would be nice if the thread is to occupy Forum space.

#3 Arbaaz Shaikh

Arbaaz Shaikh

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 11:42 PM

Hello Art,
I had prepared these sheets for an EPC company in order for them to use these sheets to get an insight into the total project capital, the sheets follow TEMA standards. I have uploaded them here so that it would allow project and process chemical engineers to do time consuming work rather quickly.

#4 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 05 March 2022 - 08:08 AM

These estimating worksheets have a lot of detail -- much more than I am used to seeing for EPC use. The exchanger and column quotes I get back from competitive bidding typically show a 30% range among bidders. Why does the EPC want so much precision in a cost estimating worksheet? I have similar questions about the weight estimation sheet. Adding up component weights of small parts like 'lug support gusset plate' is very precise, but how useful is this information to an EPC? The spreadsheets are nicely detailed. Can you explain how the EPC actually uses the information?