Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pressure Equalisation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_FrankSchleck_*

Guest_FrankSchleck_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:47 PM

Dear all,

I need to size a valve, which will be between two different sections of plant containing natural gas. The dP across the valve is 30 barg, I got 0,5 hours to equalise the pressures with an acceptable noise level. How do I calculate the size of the valve and the noise level in dB?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Kind regards,

FrankSchleck

#2 Andree

Andree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:58 AM

QUOTE (FrankSchleck @ Aug 4 2008, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear all,

I need to size a valve, which will be between two different sections of plant containing natural gas. The dP across the valve is 30 barg, I got 0,5 hours to equalise the pressures with an acceptable noise level. How do I calculate the size of the valve and the noise level in dB?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Kind regards,

FrankSchleck

Frank, you did not provide enough date to anwer your question (e.g. volume of each section).
And calculation of noise level...? This is probably not a Chem. Eng. issue... and I doubt if anybody can do such a calc.

#3 Guest_FrankSchleck_*

Guest_FrankSchleck_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:53 AM

Hi Andre,

thanks for your answer. The volume of the two sections is currently being determined and in case a formula or some kind of calculation approach would suffice, I would do the calculation myself. The noise level is only important, because the valve should not work like "turbojet", i.e. opening the valve and it's noisy like heck.

Kind regards,

FrankSchleck

#4 Andree

Andree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:17 AM

To calculate this you need to know both volumes as well as absolute pressures (not a DP only) to estimate amount of natural gas to flow for pressure equalization).
Generally you can use eqn. of state incl. z (compressibility factor) as for natural gas (some literature data can be found) and then:
1) calculate the amount of gas to flow for pressure equlaization
2) for assumed time of equalization (30 min.) calculate the average flowrate (note: to maintain the flowrate on constant level, the valve opening must increase as DP decreases during equalization)
3) when you know the flowrate then you can calculate the pipe diameter to have reasonable velocity (?) and then select reasonable valve, which enables precise flow throttling and adjustment
(to make kind of characteristic "DP vs. valve opening @ constant flow" you can just use simple Bernoulli eqn. including a drag as a function of valve opening)

#5 Guest_FrankSchleck_*

Guest_FrankSchleck_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:21 AM

Hi Andree,

thanks a lot for your help so far. For a volume V1 = 17,3 m³ and V2 = 24,3 m³, and pressures of 60 barg and 30 barg (both sides can be the high pressure side alternately), I come up with a diametre of ca. 15 mm. Seems a little small.

Kind regards,

FrankSchleck.

#6 Andree

Andree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (FrankSchleck @ Aug 7 2008, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Andree,

thanks a lot for your help so far. For a volume V1 = 17,3 m³ and V2 = 24,3 m³, and pressures of 60 barg and 30 barg (both sides can be the high pressure side alternately), I come up with a diametre of ca. 15 mm. Seems a little small.

Kind regards,

FrankSchleck.

yep, it is rather too small - it depends what you assumed as velocity in your calcs...
be aware that when you choose larger pipe dia then you can throttle the flow anyway to adjust velocity and time of equalization to your assumed values, but when you use 15mm ID then you will have limited conditions (provided 15mm is calculated correctly)...

could you tell us what velocity is applied in your calculation (probably this refers to what you expect to guarantee quiet system operation, i.e. low dB as stated in your first enquiry)?

#7 Guest_FrankSchleck_*

Guest_FrankSchleck_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:13 AM

Dear,

I used 20 m/s.

Kind regards,

FrankSchleck

#8 Andree

Andree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 02:29 AM

I did quick and rough calcs and in fact for 20 m/s obtained 14.1mm of pipe diameter. It looks to be reasonable value of velocity for pressurized gas flow.
I believe that applying larger pipe with appropriate valve will not have much cost implications and will not constrain you operation if faster pressure equalization is required. Therefore, I would recommend at least 1" NB piping (with schedule as for design pressure for higher pressure vessel)