Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Piping

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 PME

PME

Gold Member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:05 AM

In refinery there is only two types of welding viz. socket welding for small bore (upto 1.5") & butt welding for large bore(>=2").Why fillet welding is not there ?

Regards
PME

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:26 AM

PME:

What is your knowledge of welding and pipe fittings? Are you a certified welder? Have you ever welded steel?

The reason I am asking the above is that your question contradicts itself and, therefore, shows that you have an incorrect grasp of what you are asking. A fillet weld is what is applied to a socket type of fitting. A fillet is NOT A FULL PENETRATION WELD and, as such, is not very strong.

A full-penetration butt weld is inherently a full penetration weld and offers the strongest and most mechanically strong weld you can achieve on a joint. In some instances it has been shown to be STRONGER than the joint itself.

I have made butt welding mandatory on pipe joints as small as 1" in plants where I was using schedule 80 & 160. I seldom, if ever, employ socket joints or slip-ons. The fillet weld, in my opinion is restricted to low pressures and is not very strong - regardless of the pipe or joint size.

I recommend you obtain and study the various piping and welding books that are available throughout the Internet. Every engineer should have a reasonable knowledge of welding types and techniques.

#3 PME

PME

Gold Member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:01 AM

Thanks for your valuable comments.
Regards
PME