Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Converting Gas % Concentration To Ppm

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Zaraf

Zaraf

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:01 AM

I've been given a concentration of H2S (dihydrogen sulphide) in a process as being 10 mol/kmol H2S. The medium that this H2S is in is natural gas. I'm not sure if I can determine the ppm of H2S in this without knowing what the medium is, based upon this 10 mol/kmol.

Is this possible? Or do I require the composition of the medium as well?

Thanks for any help!

#2 Qalander (Chem)

Qalander (Chem)

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 829 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

Dear

I feel for any multi component system each of the component's %ages are needed to obtain the exact position.

#3 gvdlans

gvdlans

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 619 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:03 PM

First thing you need to know is whether you need to determine ppm (weight) or ppm (volume)...

#4 Zaraf

Zaraf

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:38 PM

I was thinking by mass, considering they tell me a molarity, and I can easily determine the mass from that. If I go for volume, then temperature and pressure become an issue.

#5 MrShorty

MrShorty

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 517 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:43 AM

ppm by mole seems to me the most obvious conversion: 10 mol H2S/1000 mol mixture=x mol H2S/1e6 mol mixture.

I've always been of the impression that ppm volume is the same as molar ppm. This comes from your gas law equation V=nRT/P. If R, T, P are constant (which shouldn't be too far fetched-- we are only talking about how to express concentration, not necessarily describe the actual state of the gas), then Vi/Vtot=ni/ntot as the RT/P cancels out. If this isn't correct, someone correct me.

If you are expected to convert to ppm by weight, you will need the composition of the gas, so you can calculate the mass of each "component".

#6 tarafdar

tarafdar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:34 AM

Dear Mr. Zafar.
Only mentioning ppm is ambiguous.Please visit onlineconversion.com & then to Online Conversion Forums>Main Forums>Convert and Calculate and then to the post "Convert 1 ppm H2S in to Mole%.I think this will help you.

#7 kkala

kkala

Gold Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:25 PM

I agree with MrShorty, with a note:at high pressures there may be some difference between molar and volume percentage of natural gas components. But at high pressures composition is specified on molar base. At low pressures composition is specified on volume base (this is considered, in case of no clarification) and it is same as for molar base.
You can look at attached "realgas.xls", where a gas of molar composition of 90% CH4, 9% C2H6, 1% H2S is considered at 25 oC. Volume percent composition at 60 Barg shows lower C2H6 and H2S, due to their low compressibility factor under these conditions. The compressibility factors were taken from the spreadsheet by breizh in the thread http://www.cheresour...h__1#entry49288. Comments are welcomed.
In conclusion, "by volume" is same as "mol/mol" at law pressures or ideal gas conditions. What if there are high pressures and the percent composition is said to be "by volume"? I would ask clarification, because this "by volume" may actually mean "mol/mol". I have not seen "by volume" gas percent composition at high pressures (e.g. 50 barg).

Attached Files