Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

H2s In Natural Gas

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Sachin Mundhe

Sachin Mundhe

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:04 PM

Dear All,

I am designing an Offshore Facility for Natural Gas Processing. We have around 100 PPM of H2S in the Natural Gas. I have search for the smell/odour of the H2S in the MSDS for H2S and its TLV is 10 PPM.

We will have H2S detectors in the field. But I want to know only one thing: Without an H2S detector, can we identify the H2S presence in the surrondings - assuming any gas leakage is there? rolleyes.gif

#2 gvdlans

gvdlans

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 619 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:39 AM

There are many many sour gas producing platforms in the world, so don't try to re-invent the wheel. 100 ppm of H2S in the natural gas is not that bad. You will not get killed immediately, especially when taking into consideration that the gas will be diluted when it escapes from the equipment. However, it is possible that in your plant there will be streams that have a higher H2S concentration (e.g. at the sweetening unit). I have been on platforms with more than 10% (100,000 ppm) H2S in the gas, so it could be much worse.

H2S is a colorless gas, and smell is not a good indicator for it's presence, since at higher concentrations or at prolonged exposure you cannot smell it anymore.

Normal practice is to have fixed H2S detectors located around the platform, especially at locations where H2S is likely to be present and at locations where people are likely to be present. Apart from that, personnel entering locations where H2S can be present should wear a personal detector and be trained in using escape sets.

What is the problem you have with detectors?

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:16 AM

Hello ,
To emphasize the previous reply
There is no issue with detectors as long they are well managed ( periodically checked , calibrated ,....) .
Working in areas where you have such gas ( H2S, CO,...) or lack of O2 , you need to rely on detectors in excellent conditions otherwise you will put your life in danger. Of course training is a must.

regards
Breizh