Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Hazard Identification

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 NoobInsProMech

NoobInsProMech

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:22 PM

Dear all,

I was instructed to set up a system for the company. We have recently purchase HAZOP Manager ver. 6 as part of our effort to set a proper risk management system. As a company we are involved in manufacturing of oil and gas fuel conditioning skids for our clients.

I am very new to this field and hope any of you can advise me. Questions:-

a) what is the difference between HAZID, HAZOP? To me they are ways to identify and mitigate hazards. They serve the same purpose but approach the problems differently. Is it neccesary to conduct both of them?
B) I believe SIL is slightly different from HAZID and HAZOP. SIL mainly looks into the integrity of control systems in the plant and i believe it is a more quantitative approach to mitigate problems. How does SIL does SIL come into play with HAZOP and HAZID as a hazard identification tool?
c) Any advise on proper materials or websites that could provide realiable information on this topic?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, James

Edited by NoobInsProMech, 06 October 2009 - 04:23 PM.

#2 gvdlans

gvdlans

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 619 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:08 AM

The best advise I can give: follow a good course on the subject! For example: IChemE Process Safety Management course or Exida Hazard and Risk Analysis course.

The subject is simply too complicated to effectively deal with in a forum such as this.

Edited by gvdlans, 07 October 2009 - 01:10 AM.

#3 Root

Root

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 293 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

Dear all,

I was instructed to set up a system for the company. We have recently purchase HAZOP Manager ver. 6 as part of our effort to set a proper risk management system. As a company we are involved in manufacturing of oil and gas fuel conditioning skids for our clients.

a) what is the difference between HAZID, HAZOP? To me they are ways to identify and mitigate hazards. They serve the same purpose but approach the problems differently. Is it neccesary to conduct both of them?
Posted Image I believe SIL is slightly different from HAZID and HAZOP. SIL mainly looks into the integrity of control systems in the plant and i believe it is a more quantitative approach to mitigate problems. How does SIL does SIL come into play with HAZOP and HAZID as a hazard identification tool?
c) Any advise on proper materials or websites that could provide realiable information on this topic?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, James

Hi,
I can bit explain to you, HAZID and HAZOP and for SIL wait for an other expert respons.
HAZID: Study about some portion of line of line or equipment to find out the potential risk due to some unwanted event.
HAZOP:Study about the consequences of any hazard around the entire facility in more detail as compare to HAZID. more over HAZID is new concept while HAZOP is very old.
Hope this will help you.
Cheers

#4 VikingUK

VikingUK

Gold Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:46 AM

Dear all,

B) I believe SIL is slightly different from HAZID and HAZOP. SIL mainly looks into the integrity of control systems in the plant and i believe it is a more quantitative approach to mitigate problems. How does SIL does SIL come into play with HAZOP and HAZID as a hazard identification tool?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, James

HAZID is the identification of a hazard eg if you want to make plant modifications you would use HAZID to identify potential hazards in your modification

HAZOP is the control of a hazardous operation eg methods you should put in place to reduce risks in a task you are undertaking