Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

How To Design Hcl Scrubber

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:44 PM

I take the responsibility for design the HCl Scrubber (Diameter, Height, Tybe of packing media). The scrubber will connect to the HCl Tank (25 Q)

So how can I design if I have data only HCl(g) inlet is 35% and after scrubber is should be 200 mg/m3. The pressure drop in side column nust

not over 25 mm H2O.

Are there any rule of thumb for roughly design or not? That I read in the book there are many parameters that we need to know first before design

for example flow rate of water in and out. So if any one know please advise me.(CHE2525@HOTMAIL.COM)

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:52 PM

Hi ,
If you are not familiar with absorption process , I would advise you to contact the vendor of packing materials to design your scrubber , he should support your query .

Breizh

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:45 AM

Hi Nok ,
Additional info about absorption of HCL with water (strong exotherme)

http://www.qvf.com/e...nChloride.shtml

Hope it helps

Breizh

#4 Dazzler

Dazzler

Gold Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:37 AM

Hi Nok
In my industry experience, I've come across problems with acidic aerosol mist which needs to be considered also. In some applications a mist could form which can pass through some scrubber equipment types or configurations. HCl is one of those susceptable. I attach a couple of references I came across just now as an introduction to the issue.

1. Acid aerosol mist http://www.envitechi...id-Gas-Dewpoint
(pdf print also attached)

2. Some alternate scrubber types in brochure (one typical vendor, there are others).

Dazzler

Attached Files

#5 fra.telli

fra.telli

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:54 AM

I take the responsibility for design the HCl Scrubber [...] the pressure drop in side column nust not over 25 mm H2O.

HCl adsorbing is exothermal process, expecially if gas and/or water solution are (highly) concentrated. In this case you'll need an external heat exchanger in order to cool down the water (recirculating) solution. Depending on operating conditions and temperature, you'll have to manage a hot concentrate HCl liquid solution.

what puzzle me is the very low pressure drop requirement.
Are you sure the value is 25 mmH2O?
400 - 600 mmH2O should be more appropriate for a venturi + 1 or 2 stage adsorber.

;-)