Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Bacterial/algae Development Inhibition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 siretb

siretb

ChE Jedi

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:51 AM

Helo

I have a waste water stream (600l/hour, pH 7.5, containing N and S. Temprature 25°C.)
major components are Na2SO4, NaCl (6g/l) ... So it's a brine, I do not think it is a very favorable media for bacterial growth.

We wish to add bleach (NaCl0) to inhibit bacterial or algae growth, but I have no idea of the amount needed.

The COD is 130 mg/l but my feeling is that I need much less NaClO than what would be required for the complete oxidation. I just want to control "life".

I'd appreciate if someone could give me an idea of the quantity needed.

#2 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:28 PM

Siretb,

Nalco Chemicals is one of the leading companies in supply of biocides for wastewater treatment. Have a look at the link below for further details:

http://www.nalco.com...t-integrity.htm

They should be able to provide you a tailor-made solution for your waste water treatment problem.

Regards,
Ankur.

#3 siretb

siretb

ChE Jedi

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:23 AM

Thank you Ankur.

#4 kkala

kkala

Gold Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:06 PM

I have a waste water stream (600l/hour, pH 7.5, containing N and S. Temprature 25°C.)
major components are Na2SO4, NaCl (6g/l) ... So it's a brine, I do not think it is a very favorable media for bacterial growth.
We wish to add bleach (NaCl0) to inhibit bacterial or algae growth, but I have no idea of the amount needed.
The COD is 130 mg/l but my feeling is that I need much less NaClO than what would be required for the complete oxidation. I just want to control "life".
I'd appreciate if someone could give me an idea of the quantity needed.

This wastewater looks similar to seawater (NaCl content is lower in the latter). Once seawater was treated by injecting NaClO solution into it, to be used in heat exchangers. Equivalent Cl2 dosage was specified to 10 ppm Cl2 (10 mg/l) for shock chlorination and 1-2 ppm Cl2 for continuous chlorination. This was residual Cl2, which can control algae growth*. After use and before sending back to sea, this wastewater was treated with Na2SO3 solution to eliminate residual Cl2 (chlorine).
What is purpose of mentioned wastewater treatment, reuse or disposal? Despite the small flow rate (600 l/h) reuse is assumed (otherwise why control algae?), and then above text may be of some help. Some organic compounds are rapidly oxidized by chlorine, some others are slowly oxidized*. This makes "residual" Cl2 unclear (after how much time?). Mentioned COD may require 130/32*74.5 ~ 300 mg NaClO /l for complete oxidation. Probably Cl2 (that is NaClO) consumption after a definite time can be specified through experiments; or estimated after knowing the organic compounds specifically.

* From Betz "Handbook of Industrial Water Conditioning" (Chapter 4, Chlorination), 1976.

#5 siretb

siretb

ChE Jedi

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:49 AM

Thank you Kkala, that was really helpful.
Yes this is for re-use, and this chlorination will just be a precaution against uncontrolled (and severe) algae development.