Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Career Path Selection And Development

1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Vegeta

Vegeta

Gold Member

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 01:09 PM

Dear Experts,

I'm a process design engineer who has been in this role for 6.5 years in the oil and gas industry. I'm writing this post to inquire about the possible good ways to develop and select a career path. Frankly, I am inquiring about this because I started to feel that I am doing a routine work with minor learning i.e. the typical work of line sizing, putting mark-ups on PFDs and P&IDs, simple hydraulics calculation, ... etc.
I'm not sure if this feeling is because of me or it is something usual that you have to do such type of work for extended period of time.
I understand that the current market situation with the COVID pandemic is not at its best but it is just heads up to what to plan post this time.
Note: I'm not sure if this is relevant to what you are going to write or not: I'm living in the middle east region.

Can you advice me, please?

Regards,

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 08:37 AM

Six years of good experience is valuable. I suggest contacting companies you want to work for directly including your current employer and letting them know what you want. There are also people who specialize in matching engineers with jobs (headhunters) who have incentive to help you find new employment. I advise you to find a position where you can continue learning in order to advance your career. You do not always have to take the job that offers the most money.