Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Amine Process Pro2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 looloolol

looloolol

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:13 PM

Hey all, I am currently working as an intern at an oil&gas consultancy firm. I have recently been assigned to do 3 simulations, each on Hysys, Promax and Pro2; on amine process using MDEA.

I am required to produce 50ppmv of CO2 at the treated gas stream from 1% at the feed.

As for HYSYS, I have faced similar problems as fellow engineers who have tried using MDEA to absorb CO2 without H2S:
the amine circulation rate became ridiculously high. And even when the absorber is converged, the regenerator will be messed up.
Hence, I have tried many ways to try to converge. Since practically MDEA is almost never used alone, accelerators or activators like Piperazine are always added, the efficiency is assumed to be higher than the calculated value in Hysys. However, to what extent it rises is unknown, since it's proprietary. Anyway, I have managed to converge the entire flow using the efficiency 1.

Then, I have also tried using mixed amine on HYSYS, the result is good with MDEA/DEA.

After that, I began working on my Pro2. I am not sure if it's me lacking skills, or Pro2 is really that inadequate in amine process, but I can't seem to get what I want from it.

As mentioned, i need 50ppmv of CO2 at the treated gas stream i.e. the absorber overhead. The amine circulation is supposedly unknown and needs to be calculated by the simulation. For HYSYS, I use an adjust unit operation. However, for pro2, I have to specify the inlet flow rate FIRST, before I can run it. Then, even when I use the controller to vary the inlet flow rate to specify the outlet CO2 composition, I can't get it converged. I seriously need help on pro2 now.

is there any expert out there who can give me a hint or advise? Please I need help!

Now, all I have is the inlet gas composition, and specified value of 50ppmv of CO2 at the treated gas stream, operation temperature at 45 degree C, 60 barg; using MDEA. All other parameters are still unknown. How to do that with Pro2???

I'd appreciate your patience and reply! THANKS!!!

#2 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:27 PM

Dear,
Simulating an amine system with Hysys go for DBR Amine package the maximum you can do in case of hysys (the results of MDEA are not good in hysys). For Pro-II there is an add-on i.e. Am Sim template where you can use it and model your system (I am still doubtful for the results as it's not the Am Sim simulator but a third party add-on in Pro-II). Pro-Max I have heard about its usefulness for amine sweetening but so far not used yet. You can have a look in theses simulators also TSWEET and Pro-Treat(this one I use frequently).

#3 Bharat Abhyankar

Bharat Abhyankar

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:04 PM

Hello,
This is not exactly the solution to your problem, still ....
As per my personal opinion ranking of Amine column simulators: (From good to better)

HYSYS < ASPEN+ < AM-SIM (Pro-II addin) < Pro-Max (TSWEET)

Back end of TSWEET and Pro-Max is same. I haven’t used Pro-Treat yet.
HYSYS DBR amine pack uses AM-SIM in back end, hence the results should be same.

Edited by Bharat Abhyankar, 28 June 2010 - 01:30 AM.

#4 looloolol

looloolol

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:43 AM

Dear,
Simulating an amine system with Hysys go for DBR Amine package the maximum you can do in case of hysys (the results of MDEA are not good in hysys). For Pro-II there is an add-on i.e. Am Sim template where you can use it and model your system (I am still doubtful for the results as it's not the Am Sim simulator but a third party add-on in Pro-II). Pro-Max I have heard about its usefulness for amine sweetening but so far not used yet. You can have a look in theses simulators also TSWEET and Pro-Treat(this one I use frequently).

thanks a lot. (:

#5 looloolol

looloolol

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:44 AM

Hello,
This is not exactly the solution to your problem, still ....
As per my personal opinion ranking of Amine column simulators: (From good to better)

HYSYS < ASPEN+ < AM-SIM (Pro-II addin) < Pro-Max (TSWEET)

Back end of TSWEET and Pro-Max is same. I haven’t used Pro-Treat yet.
HYSYS DBR amine pack uses AM-SIM in back end, hence the results should be same.

thanks a lot