Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Material Selection For Sour/acidic Service

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_Nomi_*

Guest_Nomi_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:17 AM

I am facing some problems regarding material selection for sour/acidic service of raw natural gas due to the presence of H2S & CO2 gas. According to the common practice if the raw gas contains <4 ppmv H2S & <6 mol% CO2 then we consider this as a sweet service and we can use carbon steel (SA-516 Gr. 70) for both piping and vessel materials. However if the recommended limits exceed then we have some concerns regarding material selection.

1. In the presence of free water and CO2 (above 6 mol%) in the raw gas please tell me the material selection criteria. Either we can use normalized carbon steel or we have to go for SS material due to the acidic attack of CO2 to the material . Please also tell me is there any option to go for simple carbon steel upto specific temp and pressure conditions in this acidic conditions.

2. If both H2S & CO2 present in the raw gas then please tell me the material selection criteria for this sour service nature. Please recommend the material in that condition where H2S lie in SSC (Sulphide stress cracking) region according to NACE MR0175.

For these two conditions please tell me what material should be used in regeneration section of Amine Unit (Where highly corrosive envoirment exists due to CO2 or H2S in presence of free water).

Please note that I am asking the material selection for gas sweetening and gas dehydration plants.

Your cooperation will be highly anticipated.

Edited by Nomi, 07 July 2010 - 06:25 AM.

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:24 AM

Nomi,

This is the information I can give you based on my experience in gas processing, after several years of working in different treatment plants worldwide:

1. For CO2-only acid gases, the absorber vessel is cladded with 316L stainless steel. Regenerator tower is made of CS cladded with 316L as well. These are experience-based rules. CO2 is much more corrosive if there is no H2S.

2. For H2S/CO2 rich gas, Absorber is normally made of Killed Carbon Steel with extra corrosion allowance (no cladding). Regenerator tower is made of CS cladded with 316L.

For production piping system/pipeline, the material selection criteria is very much different for several reasons. Wellheads, manifolds, platform topsides - all are made of solid Alloy 625 or cladded CS with Alloy 625, the pipeline is CS with 3mm corrosion allowance + continuous injection of corrosion inhibitor.

There are several standards available online (e.g. Norsok: http://www.standard..../1176/M-001.pdf) but if you are not confident with yourself and not sure where do you stand at, it's the best option to hire a consultancy or an engineering company to do this work for you.

Best of luck,

#3 Guest_Nomi_*

Guest_Nomi_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:11 AM

Dear Zauberberg,

Thanks alot for your valuable comments. As u said that for CO2-only acid gases, the absorber vessel is cladded with 316L stainless steel, kindly confirm that can we use normalized carbon steel for that purpose rather than CS cladded with 316L.

Thank you

#4 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:50 AM

Nomi,

I like your statement, and your problem-solving approach. I really hope you wouldn't accept my recommendation as granted - whether do I say "Yes" or "No". It's simply because it is impossible to give you 100% complete answer just based on the information you have provided in your post. And I am not a Material Selection expert.

My reply to your query was based on my previous experiences (existing plants) with observed Absorber/Regenerator material selection for different CO2/H2S ratios and relatively high partial pressures of these components - operating pressure in these units was/is >70 barg. As said, if the feed gas contains both H2S/CO2 normally the Absorber is made of KCS whereas for CO2-only gases I believe that some sort of vessel cladding is required. In both cases, the tower internals were made of SS.

Best regards,

#5 Propacket

Propacket

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:44 PM

I would like to refer API Material Seletion Criteria for CO2 partial pressure.

API SPEC 12GDU states, “Carbon dioxide partial pressures in the gas phase below 3 psia typically do not require corrosion control. Between 3 and 30 psia, some form of corrosion control may be required, such as pH control or inhibitor injection. Corrosion resistant metals may also be needed. For carbon dioxide (CO2) partial pressures above 30 psia, design/operational corrosion control measures will be required.”

#6 Propacket

Propacket

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 260 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:31 AM

Zauberberg,

• You mentioned above that for CO2/H2S rich gases, absorber is made of Killed Carbon Steel with extra corrosion allowance. I am sure you must be talking about an absorber where temperature is not very high. Because corrosion increases with temperature and becomes severe at temperatures near bulge temperature. Therefore , despite the fact that corrosion with CO2/H2S rich gases is not severe compared to that of H2S & CO2 alone, we have to use cladded carbon steel at high temperatures in absorber as well as in flash drum.

• For a gas containing both CO2 and H2S, ratio of CO2 to H2S is very important. If CO2/H2S ratio is very high, cladded carbon steel must be used in absorber regardless of the temperature.

• I agree that regenerator is normally made of cladded carbon steel because of high temperature prevailing in the regenerator but I have some confusion regarding material for regenerator reboiler. Even if amine in the reboiler contains small amount of H2S & CO2 (Lean Loading), potential threat of severe corrosion exists because skin temperature in reboiler may be extremely high than the operating temperature of reboiler particularly with direct fired reboiler. What is your experience about material of reboiler?

Kindly also comment about material for flash drum.

I could not open the link. I think the path was not complete. Can you provide this again?

Thanks

#7 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:57 AM

PEngr,

Norsok standard is attached below. As for the materials of construction, here are some additional comments.

CO2-only case: solvent flash drum is CS/cladded with 304L, regenerator overhead receiver made of solid 316L. Reboiler was fired heater made of CS (if I remember well).

H2S/CO2 case: no cladding on the bottom of absorber; solvent flash drum made of CS/cladded with 304L, regenerator as described in my previous post. Reboilers (kettle) made of KCS - both shell and tubes.

Remember - these are design solutions for two existing plants and NOT the detalied guidelines for material selection in Amine Units. I would like us to be 100% alligned with respect to that.

Attached Files

#8 Guest_Nomi_*

Guest_Nomi_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:57 AM

Dear Zauberberg,

With reference to all the above valuable discussions regarding the concerning issue, now the only point in my mind which is not clear is: what do we do in the case of those raw gas streams in which H2S partial pressure lies in the SCC (Sulfide corrosion cracking) as per NACE MR0175? Either we go for an Absorber material made of Carbon Steel without cladding, or Carbon Steel with cladding - or we can use normalized CS (SA 516 Gr.70N) which has more tensile strength as compared to KCS.

Thank you.

#9 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:10 AM

Nomi,

To answer that question is beyond my knowledge and competence. I hope we can get a Material Expert involved in this thread so as to help you in getting the full reply.

Best regards,

#10 Guest_Nomi_*

Guest_Nomi_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:18 AM

Dear Zauberberg,

Thanks alot for your valuable time. Yes we have to involve a material expert for the final conclusion.