Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pressure Relief Valve

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_kong_*

Guest_kong_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 26 June 2003 - 01:51 AM

Dear Community;

I would like to find out from the community whether it is mandatory to perform an X-ray on a Car Sealed Closed (CSC) Valve that is located upstream of pressure safety device , each time whenever the valve is returned to CLOSE position after being break open.

Specifically, what I am refering to is those CSC valves that are gate valves which located upstream of relief valve. What I understand from the Refinery practice is that it is mandatory to perform the X-ray to confirm that it is fully closed. Is this the main purpose?

Does this also applied to those CSO valve of the same nature?

Would appreciate any comments from all of you

#2 pleckner

pleckner

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 564 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 05:58 PM

This must be a refinery specific requirement because I have never seen any regulatory requirement. Each company is free to set their own rules as long as these rules do not violate the codes. They may be more strict but never less.

I'm at a loss, however, in tyring to picture your system. I have never ever seen any plant put a CSC valve upstream of a relief device. The more common practice is to put in isolation valves on systems where there is more than one relief device and one of them is a spare. This is done so that one can be taken out of service for maintenance while the other is in service. The two isolation valves are mechanically linked so that when one is opened, the other is closed. This prevents accidental simultaneous isolation of both relief devices.

Perhaps your facility is doing something different. Again, I can't picture it.

#3 Guest_kongsl_*

Guest_kongsl_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 26 June 2003 - 07:28 PM

Dear Pleckner;

In the system, we have two pressure safety relief valve and one will act as a spare when another goes for maintenance as you have mentioned. Those PSV has a manual gate valve which are located upstream of them. And to prevent personnel from accidentally open the manual valve of the spare one , the company has decided to CSC the spare PSV.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 pleckner

pleckner

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 564 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 05:29 PM

It is a MUST that the isolaton valve on the relief valve in service be CSO but there is absoulutely, positively no reason to CSC the "spare"! Who cares if it is opened by accident? It most certainly IS NOT a safety issue. And I would think that the odds of someone opening the spare by "accident" is pretty slim; but again, who cares? Where is the harm and safety issue?

I would love to understand their thinking.

#5 Guest_Phil Knows Me Well!_*

Guest_Phil Knows Me Well!_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 04 July 2003 - 10:09 AM

Yes, the isolation valve under the "active" relief device must be CSO but many plants will CSC the spare for maintenance reasons. This approach ensures that the "inactive" relief device will be in good mechanical shape when it is put into service.
tongue.gif

#6 Guest_Ben Thayer_*

Guest_Ben Thayer_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 10 July 2003 - 11:06 AM

I would be more concerned about the use of a gate valve in the inlet piping to the relief valve. If you are using gate valves, make sure the stem orientation is horizontal so that a failure of a broken stem does not let the gate drop down and block the flow.

If there were going to be any X-raying to confirm valve position, I would expect it to be to confirm the valve is indeed open and you do not have a false indication due to someone breaking the stem when the valve had been closed to service the "spare." Valves that are used infrequently for this type of work (annually or every 5 years is not uncommon) seemed to be turned with "cheater" bars or wrenches on the wheels and are prone to breaking.

#7 JoeWong

JoeWong

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:16 AM

QUOTE (Ben Thayer @ Jul 10 2003, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would be more concerned about the use of a gate valve in the inlet piping to the relief valve. If you are using gate valves, make sure the stem orientation is horizontal so that a failure of a broken stem does not let the gate drop down and block the flow.

If there were going to be any X-raying to confirm valve position, I would expect it to be to confirm the valve is indeed open and you do not have a false indication due to someone breaking the stem when the valve had been closed to service the "spare." Valves that are used infrequently for this type of work (annually or every 5 years is not uncommon) seemed to be turned with "cheater" bars or wrenches on the wheels and are prone to breaking.

Dear All,
I am "newbie:" in this forum. Just browse some discussion threads and found interesting discussion going on. Just wanna to contribute some of my thoughts.

a) CSO vs CSC

a1) 2 x 50% PSV : Both PSV inlet block valves are CSO with cascade set pressure as per API 521 recomendation

b2) 2 x 100% PSV : Duty PSV inlet block vale is CSO whilst Spare PSV inlet block valve is CSC. Reason being both PSVs will have identitical set pressure. Identical PSV setpoint will promote chattering and seat damaging.

cool.gif Gate valve upstream of PSV
Gate valve's stem may be broken without operator knowing and potentially introduce "obstacle" in the PSV inlet line. For continuous operating line, once gate valve is used, preferable to orientate in horizontal downward position to ensure broken stem will not cause any blockage. Nevertheless, not very often use gate for PSV inlet which is meant for final overpressure protection. Stem "stucked" and "broken" may potentially partially block the inlet line and create flow limitation, large inlet pressure drop (>3% from protected section), PSV chatter, etc. From safety point of view, we normally recommend to use FB ball valve for PSV inlets.

Best regards,

JoeWong