Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Help On Simulation In Htri

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 process_persia

process_persia

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:08 AM

Dears,

I am trying to simulate a heat exchanger which is shown as 18E002 on the attached figure. the tube side is process gas (N2, H2, CO2 Water, CH4, C2H4, C2H6, C3H6 and C3H8) shell side is a refrigerant (Ammonia, water). As you can see in the PFD, there are two streams leaving the shell (a vapor and a bleed stream of ammonia). I would like to know how I can simulate this heat exchanger in which different streams with different properties are leaving the shell in HTRI . the Heat exchanger in TEMA BKU type by the way.other info are as follows:

1- Tube length: 6000 mm
2- Number of tubes: 3256
3- Tube O.D and wall thickness: 19.05 * 2.11 mm
4- Area: 1250 m2
5- Tube layout/ pitch: 90 / 28.575mm
6- 2 passes on tube side

Thnaks in advance

Attached Files

#2 chemsac2

chemsac2

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:32 AM

Process_persia,

In "Nozzle" menu in HTRI, there is an option for liquid outlet. Specify your liquid nozzle size (Bleed stream) in that field as actual ID. HTRI does not have provision for specifying nominal bore and schedule for liquid outlet.

Also check location of liquid outlet nozzle in "Nozzle orientation" sheet.

Your duty specification and ammonia flowrate would decide how much of your inlet stream is vaporized and how much leaves from liquid outlet.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Sachin

Edited by chemsac2, 20 July 2010 - 05:33 AM.

#3 process_persia

process_persia

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:05 PM

Thank you Chemsac for your answer...it did help...by the way, I came up with another question. what is exactly the role of multiplier in the last row of process tab?

Best,

#4 Propacket

Propacket

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:48 AM

process_persia ,

Besides specifying the liquid nozzle, you also need to specify outlet vapour rate & outlet liquid rate in terms of outlet vapour fraction.

#5 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

Dear,
Are you using HTRI in simulation mode and how are these results? I will suggest you to use a simulator like Hysys, Aspen Plus to generate the data i.e. heat curves and terminal conditions and put it into HTRI and with the inputs mentioned above you can rate the exchanger.
The multiplier in the last tab is the design margin you want to keep. 1.1 means 10% margin so the exchanger will be sized(in case new) or rated(existing) for 110%.

#6 mehul

mehul

Gold Member

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:09 PM

-

#7 process_persia

process_persia

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:01 PM

Dear Padmakar S Katre and Mehul,

Thank you for your valuable hints, I think HTRIs Thermodynamic is still weak compared to other process simulators so your idea of using data from other simulators is quite right.

Thanks again

#8 jcazenave

jcazenave

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:16 AM

If thermo is important AspenTech EDR (HTFS) offers the same properties package than Aspen+ or HYSYS simulator. This might be a good alternative.