Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Choosing Hydrogen Source In Plant

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:26 AM

How to prefer the hydrogen source for designing a new plant? Currently I am designing a plant for production of propylene glycol from the glycerol. Should I use the source of hydrogen from other H2 liquid supply company or produce the H2 using steams reformer/water electrolysis by my plant itself?

Please kindly drop down the suggestion, if possible please give me the comparison in term of cost and impacts on the environment?

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:48 AM

The suggestion is to do a little bit research on your own. There is no way for us to know the prices of H2 from various suppliers in your area (and where are you actually?), and it is also impossible to give you any information about steam reforming units of unknown throughput, location, delivery schedule etc.

Depending on Hydrogen consumption, perhaps the best idea is to buy it as a product from another supplier.

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:13 PM

THanks very much. I will take your guide in comparing the cost...

#4 fatimah

fatimah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

Hi guys

just for information. when calculating cost for in house H2 generator,you may need to consider below;

-you need to expect many problem when you run h2 generator (there is where some costs occur). you better check this with your h2 generator supplier as they have a lot of experience during start up.
-check you raw material, is it the rate enough for h2 production? is the raw material production consistent?