Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Depressuring - Heat Flux

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#26 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:48 AM

When submitting the final calculation report, try to encompass the following:

1. Calculated U-values for initial process conditions, both cases (in W/m2C);
2. Calculated U-values for final process conditions, both cases (in W/m2C);
3. Hysys-calculated U-values for initial process conditions, both cases (in W/m2C);
4. Hysys-calculated U-values for final process conditions, both cases (in W/m2C) - I believe you can get these from the Strip Chart configured to display U-values during blowdown;
5. Final temperatures as calculated by Hysys, fixed U-value;
6. Final temperatures as calculated by Hysys, continuously updated U-value;

It would be very good if you can compile all the results in an Excel workbook, so that they can be shown against each other and analyzed easily. Then we'll proceed to the next step and see how we can estimate liquid inventory during blowdown, and track the temperature profile for all cases.

#27 barbara_s

barbara_s

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:18 AM

Hi I compiled the xls file with all information...
thks!

Attached Files

#28 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:32 AM

Barbara,

Thank you for submitting the results. Now, we need to confirm the following: are these the results from Hysys blowdown simulations, or from your manual calculation work? My guess is that these are from Hysys, so we need your calculation results as well - at least those for the vapor phase (both cases - fire and cold case).

We should be having two sets of tables - one from Hysys, and the other one containing your calculation results, in order to make certain conclusions and to proceed further.

By the way, do you notice that the results are quite similar (with respect to final and minimum temperatures) for both cases, by using both methods? Your initial question was related to having very much different temperatures depending on the chosen U-value calculation method.

#29 barbara_s

barbara_s

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:13 PM

- yes when I simulated the case using U-updated and U-fixed I found more differentes results... If I find the old simulation I post.

- but I have also one other question: when I have to use the U-fixed and when U-updated, exite a criteria?
Or each time that I have a case I have to calculate the U values?

#30 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:55 PM

In order to have that question answered, we'll need to complete the calculation work (your action item), and then to re-run Hysys models with your calculated values used as fixed U-values.

#31 barbara_s

barbara_s

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:51 PM

In order to have that question answered, we'll need to complete the calculation work (your action item), and then to re-run Hysys models with your calculated values used as fixed U-values.

thanks for your help!
But I have already re-run my simulations...
I choised the U-fixed (with U-values calculated) and I reported the results on xls...
I don't know why the results if I use U-updated or U fixed are similar...
I have to do more simulation... I don't understand...

By the way...
Thanks for your help and for your patience... :D