Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Max Accumulated Pressure - Fire Case

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_Ian_*

Guest_Ian_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 25 April 2005 - 02:25 AM

Does anyone have a copy of ASME VIII to hand?

I'm trying to confirm the adequacy of some burst discs fitted to vessels with a design pressure of 0.3 Barg.

API 520 helpfully includes a chart (taken from ASME 8), which shows that the max allowable accumulated pressure for fire exposure is 121% of the design pressure for vessels who's design pressure of 30 psig or above.

I need to find out the max allowable accumulated pressure for fire exposure, when the design pressure is only 0.3 barg. Can anyone help?

Best regards
Ian

#2 gvdlans

gvdlans

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 619 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 03:38 AM

Both sections AR-150 and UG-125 of ASME VIII just mention that for fire relief, pressure shall not rise more than 21% above the maximum allowable working pressure. This while for other reliefs they state that the device shall prevent the pressure from rising more than 10% or 3 psi, whichever is greater, above the MAWP.

Since in your case 21% of the MAWP of 2 psig is only 0.42 psig, I would use 3 psig instead. Reasoning is that in UG-125 it is stated that the base rule is "10% or 3 psi, whichever is greater", but that you are permitted to use 21% for fire case. In your case I would use the base rule.

Note that I am an engineer and not a lawyer...

#3 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:02 PM

Ian,
Typically a tank designed for such a low pressure would not be built to comply with ASME VIII. Build the tank to API Standards 620 or 650. It is not practical to design a large storage tank to withstand even 3 psig, and so they are not built to this standard.
Doug