Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Venting Of Ro Storage Tank

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 pdios

pdios

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

i have an RO Tank made of FRP that is about 2.2M dia and 3M high. i need to protect it from sucking in dust and airborne bacteria and have a 2" flange port at the tank top as connection for a vent filter. I plan to install a 10in long filter with 0.2micron rating. is there any calculation i should consider and what other requirements do i need to consider?

#2 proinwv

proinwv

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 391 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:26 PM

First let me welcome you and then tell you that I have never done this before.

Having said that, what comes to mind is as follows.

Filters, by their nature have a pressure drop and that increases as the filter collects the material that it prevents from entering your tank. The filter should be sized so that it will provide an acceptable time of service before cleaning or replacement. That of course is easier for me to say than for you to implement. But that filter will likely reach a point that it has a pressure drop in excess that is allowable for your tank.

You need to know the MAWV rating of the tank. I would think that a vacuum transducer and alarm would be appropriate to provide, at a minimum, monitoring of tank vacuum and an alarm to warn in advance of reaching the MAWV. Dependent on the entire process, and and any danger involved, this could also be used to shut down the process. Recording of the vacuum might be useful in understanding the operation.

In any case, I would recommend a vacuum vent to allow ingress of atmosphere as a final protection to the tank should all else fail.

These are all possible actions for you to implement. A summary, is simply that you need to protect your product, your process, your equipment, the environment and course, but not last, human safety and life.