Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Foaming In The Kitchen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 MrShorty

MrShorty

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 517 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:24 AM

I hope this isn't too out of line here, but I don't know much of anything about foaming, other than it can occur in distillation towers and cause problems if not properly dealt with. Can we ask non-engineering related question??

I was cooking some noodles for my daughter and, like many times before, the pot boiled over. Like many times, I observed that the pot only boils over if I put the lid on the pot. If I boil the noodles with the lid off, it doesn't foam up as bad. So I asked myself, "Why does putting the lid on a pot of boiling pasta give it a greater tendency to foam up?"

I know it's kind of an unimportant question, but I'm quite curious if we can come up with a good "engineering" type explanation for why this happens. (Who knows, the answer might even extend to explaining foaming in engineering applications).

#2 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 03:29 PM

MrShorty,
You raise an interesting question that I can only speculate about. Since I find it intriging, I offer the following speculation:

1) The mildly elevated pressure inside a container may somehow encourage the growth of larger bubbles.
2) The large bubbles then transport more liquid water higher in the vessel.
3) This water gets pushed around by the turbulence present, and a fraction is ejected from the container.

Alternately, the slightly elevated pressure may lead to additional dissolution of pasta constituents that affect the surface tension in such a way as to generate larger bubbles, again leading to the above results.

Another explanation could be greater violence when the bubbles burst. This could again be due to the mildly elevated pressure inside the container which increases the vapor density. The increased momentum leads to a greater liklihood of ejection.

Still another explanation is the contained vapors in the closed container impact the surface tension in such a way as to generate larger bubbles, still again leading to the above results.

Interesting isn't it?

Be careful what you ask (an engineer) for,
Doug ;-)

#3 gvdlans

gvdlans

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 619 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:57 PM

Since I like cooking, I had ample opportunity to think this over...

I would say proteins from the pasta act as a surfactant. With the lid on the pot, water vaporization rate is lower than with the lid off. Reason is that steam condenses at the lid and the liquid droplets falling back into the water provide cooling to the water. With the lid off, most of the steam will be removed from the pan so there is no cooling effect. As a result of this, with other conditions (e.g. heat supply, amount of water you started with) the same, pan with lid off will boil dry much faster than a pan with the lid on.

With the higher vaporization rate, the foam bubbles will collapse so there is no stable foam and no boil over.

I do not think the slightly higher pressure inside the pan with lid on will have any effect. This pressure rise will be very small (weight of the lid divided by the area of the lid, I would say about 1 mbar).

#4 MrShorty

MrShorty

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 517 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.

As I've thought about it, I've been wondering if it isn't partially due to heat balance DQ=Q(in)-Q(out). Q(in), of course, is from the stove. Q(out) is a result of conduction, radiation, and how much steam escapes. Because water has such a high heat of vaporization, I would expect that most of Q(out) (especially with the lid off) is contributable to the ecaping steam. As noted, with the lid on, less steam escapes, but rather condenses, releasing the heat of vaporization to the lid.

I'm still interested in more comments, if they are still out there.

#5 Guest_john ng_*

Guest_john ng_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:06 PM

I'm not a chem Engineer but i'm certain that it's the vapour reason suggested. The high water vapour in the closed pot wets the air so the bubbles don't burst from drying. If you look at a free form bubble in air the water film is in constant motion with the bottom film wider than the top, when it bursts it always starts from the top, it's like the gravity has drawn so much water to the bottom of the bubble that it's too thin at the top to remain, from then on water tension pulls a hole in it thus bursting it. In the closed pot the high vapour concentration allows the vapour to continually condense and add to the bubble film thus not letting it dry out or thin to a point where it pops.
There is hardly any protein in pasta. I had no idea what that posting was on about.
But applying our scientific knowledge to real life everyday occurences is the goal of science, in this case pondering pasta foaming is not trivial at all.
I study biotech by the way.

#6 gvdlans

gvdlans

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 619 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:46 AM

John ng.

Good post! Probably biotechnology is a better background than Chemical Engineering when it comes to boiling pasta...

You wrote "There is hardly any protein in pasta. I had no idea what that posting was on about. " You could be right there, but since pasta is made by mixing flour and eggs (and water and salt), there must be some proteins in there. According to http://food.oregonst...p/compasta.html pasta contains about 5 to 12 weight percent proteins.

Anyway, you don't need a high concentration of surfactants to make a foam.

#7 chemsep05

chemsep05

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 05:49 PM

there is a pressure increase with the lid on, also there is a temperature increase since less of the heat energy is given off to the atmosphere, usually it suggests on the pasta box to boil with the lid off for these reasons

#8 gvdlans

gvdlans

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 619 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 02:49 PM

chemsep05,

As I wrote in a previous post "I do not think the slightly higher pressure inside the pan with lid on will have any effect. This pressure rise will be very small (weight of the lid divided by the area of the lid, I would say about 1 mbar). "

The temperature increase is directly linked to the pressure increase via the vapor pressure curve (we have boiling water remember...), and is therefore not related to "less of the heat energy being given off to the atmosphere".