Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pool Chemicals

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_caretaker_*

Guest_caretaker_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 24 July 2005 - 08:11 AM

Hello!
Thanks for welcoming me here.
I have a personal question that is imprtant to me...about pool safety and environmental impact of chemicals used in pools.
Which has the most impact on the environment? polyhexamethylene biguanide and peroxide OR chlorine systems?

Thank you for your help.

#2 nilesh_chem

nilesh_chem

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (caretaker @ Jul 24 2005, 08:11 AM)
Hello!
Thanks for welcoming me here.
I have a personal question that is imprtant to me...about pool safety and environmental impact of chemicals used in pools.
Which has the most impact on the environment?  polyhexamethylene biguanide and peroxide OR chlorine systems?

Thank you for your help.

#3 Guest_caretaker_*

Guest_caretaker_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:36 PM

I see that nilesh_chem wanted to post something....but clicked on the wrong button maybe?

All I have learned so far is that mercury is involved in the production of chlorine. And that chlorine ages the human skin and body. Hydrogen Perxoide is an oxygen producer however I have no idea what the manafacturing of it or PHMB involves...and the environmental impact of them.

any thoughts?

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:54 AM

I think the worst thing about forums is the misguided information that can be found in them by individuals who have heard something and want to pass that information on. I work at a Cl2 production facility. Yes, mercury is SOMETIMES used in Cl2 production, but most companies who still use this outdated process are moving to other methods of production. Chlorine is made using electrolytic cells or membrane cells for the most part now. Even in the processes that still use mercury, it is not leached into the products. It is only used for the electrolysis. To answer the question, I know nothing about the other process, but I know that Cl2 production is not as harmful as you have been lead to believe.

By the way, it is not pure chlorine that is put into pool chemicals. It is calcium hypochlorite. If you want to know, research that chemical.