Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Horizontal Separator Sizing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 venkyravula

venkyravula

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:33 AM

In sizing a horizontal knockout drum how much ullage space has to be maintained and what is the criteria for choosing of L/D ratio to be 2.5 to 5 in sizing horizontal separator.

#2 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

By ullage space I presume that you mean the vapor space above the liquid level. This is strictly dependent on the application. For example, if you are expecting large liquid slugs alon with vapor which can happen in case of an emergency flaring scenario, the flare knockout drum is required to be sized with 50% ullage as you call it. Similarly an application for a separator which also acts as a slug catcher such as the one installed at the end of a gas-condensate pipeline would reuire a large ullage space to handle the liquid slugs and also for effective gas-liquid separation.

The L/D ratio of a minimum 2.5 ensures enough residence time in the separator for effective gas-liquid separation in terms of the gas being able to bubble out of the liquid due to pressure drop as well as enough time for liquid droplets to coalesce and form bigger droplets which can then disengage from the vapor and fall to the bottom of the separator by gravity. The key word here is residence time for effective gas-liquid separation due to longer lengths of the separator.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ankur.

#3 venkyravula

venkyravula

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:59 AM

Thank you so much Mr.Ankur...

Am doing sizing for a knockout drum which only liquid flow is there and there is no gas flow into KOD just it acts like a surge drum.. How much ullage space i have to maintain. i got the values as 900mm ID X 2200S/S lenght through some Spread sheet.. LAHH i maintaind is 800 mm. 100 mm is suitable for this condition suppose there is no slug condition in the flow.

#4 DB Shah

DB Shah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

check this
http://www.cheresour...ge-drum-sizing/