Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Mechanical Design For Pressure Vessels

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
100 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#76 kamlesh

kamlesh

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:58 AM

Hi Art,

Thanks for your help.

My name is : Kamlesh Majithiya
State and Country : Ontario, Canada
University Name : The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario

I recently graduated in Mechanical Engineering. I am interested in working in Pressure vessel Design field and your work book really helpful to any new guys in this field. So please send me work book to kmajithiya@hotmail.com, I'll really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Kamlesh

#77 Suryakant Randeri

Suryakant Randeri

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:56 AM

Dear Friends,
I am a chemical engineer and working in the design department. I do all my calculations for pressure vessel design with engineering caculator.

It will be a great help to me if readers can send me a web link or Excel work sheet for the design and calculation of process vessel thickness under External presssure , reinforcing pad requiremnt/sizing for nozzles and body flange thickness.

I appreciate your help and guidance to me over my

email address: randeri@hpfl-india.com or scranderi@yahoo.co.in

Regards,

Randeri

#78 mariopi

mariopi

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:46 AM

Hi Art,

I've seen many grateful people that you helped to pressure vessel design projects, i would be great if u could send me your workbook too...cause i'm having my thesis about pressure vessel Design By Analysis (DBA): Direct route, using FEM (Finite element analysis)

Name : Mariopi
Major : Mechanical Engineering
University : Institut Teknologi Bandung, Indonesia
E-mail : mario_gapake_bros@yahoo.co.id

Please inform me if you can give any information about it.

Thanx

#79 Mohankumar

Mohankumar

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:27 AM

I am Mohankumar working as Technical Executive in a PET Resin Manufacturing plant. Iam interested in the Wxcel sheet for designing the Pressure Vessels and it will be very ueful to me. But I am not astudent. Can you pl send it to my ID : srmohan58@yahoo.co.in

#80 chenblue

chenblue

Gold Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:48 AM

Dear Art,
I'm insterested in the design of pressure-vessel,
Thanks a lot if you can sent it to me.

Name: Po-Ju Chen
University: National Tsing-Hua University
Major: ChE (PhD, 4 years)
E-mail: d933652@oz.nthu.edu.tw

#81 diya

diya

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:34 AM

My name is diya, i am a final CHE student from Malaysia. By the way, i am doing my final design also, i also facing the same probelm in mechanical design of pressure vessel, can you sent me a copy of your worksheet. thanks.

email: starl8_7@yahoo.com.my

can you help me as soon as possible...i need it
thank you for your attention..

#82 anamackic

anamackic

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

Dear Art Montemayor,

My Name is Ana Mackic, I have finiched Mechanical Faculty in Belgrade, Serbia, my mail is anamackic@yahoo.com.au I am curently living and working in Australia, Please if you can send me your work book and spread sheet.
Thank you in advance
Ana

#83 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:09 AM

Ana, Diya, etc., etc.:

Please read this thread throughout and you will discover that YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE EXCEL WORKBOOK in question at my posting found in page 2 of this same thread.

I fail to understand that if you came to this thread seeking help, why didn't you read the ENTIRE thread and not just the last few posts? It's all very easy and accessible.

#84 chau

chau

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:41 AM

Dear sir

Iam rahul from india.

Well our professions fall under your expertise. Can you forward me the same. Perhabs this may patronage us to have the intensified design approach for boiler

My mail ID is

rahul.chaubey@flsmidth.com

Awaiting for your reply
rahul

#85 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:48 AM

Rahul:

I don't understand what you mean by "same". Can you be specific?

As I've explained in detail: you can download my workbook directly. Just go to the indicated post.

Why do you post your email?

#86 chau

chau

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:44 PM

I APOLOGY SIR.

Dear sir

I raised one query and need your unified touch in technical to just have me the answer for the query related to easte heat recovery system

RAHUL

#87 ashwini

ashwini

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:19 PM

Hi Art
I am a junior mechanical Engineer, just started working with ZH pressure filter manufacturing company, I would really appreciate if you forward your Pressure Vessel Work Book, I'm sure it will help me in understanding and designing of Pressure Vessels and also will give me more knowledge as i am a fresher graduate engineer.
Thanks

Name: S. Ashwini
Email: ashee4883@gmail.com

Regards

Ashwini

#88 anamackic

anamackic

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:35 AM

Dear Mr. Art,

Thank you for your mesage, at that moment when i have posted mu request, i could not download that book because the file was corupted. Now i have downloaded it and i need to thank you for it. Also, please note that I was thinking that there are calculations for the thickness and the rest of the pressure vessels. I am trying myself to prepare one of the spreadsheets for that part of the design, but i need some reference. I heard that some of the engineers have their own spreadsheets which i can use for my reference.
Thank you once again for your book
regards,
Ana

#89 rebornwilly

rebornwilly

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:35 AM

Dear Art,

My name is William Wan, from Malaysia, graduated from Chem Eng. in Universiti Teknologi Petronas. I was very blessed by your workbook on vacuum service. I tried to find the workbook on mechanical design of pressure vessel, but to no avail. May i ask that you send to my inbox or attach it here again. Thank You.

Regards,
William

rebornwilly@gmail.com

#90 poshboots

poshboots

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:51 PM

Dear Art
i am also interested in this workbook

my name is ope yemi

email is o_fadairo@yahoo.com

i am a final year student in the university of sheffield

#91 kkala

kkala

Gold Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:33 AM

Having read this long thread from the beginning, I would like to add the following:

1. Mentioned workbook (spreadsheet) can be found in the 27th - Sep - 2006 post of the present thread, as clarified by Art Montemayor. Its name is Vessel_Volume.zip and it can be downloaded from there.
2. It contains guidance on volumes and calibration of vessels. First sheet, titled Notes & Experience, has useful practical notes on pressure vessel design. Reference is made to "Pressure Vessel Handbook" by Eugene Megyesy, apparently for the mechanical design of pressure vessels.
3. The newest edition of handbook has a cost of $118.55 or higher, and very good rating.
4. A good introductory material on pressure vessel mechanical design can be also found in Coulson & Richardson's "Chemical Engineering" Volume 6: "An Introduction to Chemical Engineering Design" by R. K. Sinnot (Pergamon Press), Chapter titled "Mechanical Design of Process Equipment", where mechanical design of pressure vessels covers 80 pages and of atmospheric tanks & centrifuges 5 pages. In my opinion the Chapter is clear and makes a good start for chemical engineers interested in the subject. However some prior knowledge on strength of materials would be useful, not to say necessary.
5. I luckily followed lessons on statics - strength of materials, but now I am informed that these are not included in Chemical Engineering lessons in Greece. Probably because the Mechanical Engineer is legally responsible for the mechanical design of pressure vessels. And probably because of influence from USA, since important instructors come from there.
6. Even so, some understanding of mechanical design by Chemical Engineer (defining design pressure after all) would be useful. Personally I cannot take responsibility for the mechanical design of a pressure vessel, since I am not familiar with code (e.g. ASME), check of weldings (X-rays)- their annealing, etc. Nevertheless I feel able to roughly compute weight of empty vessel for cost estimation, as well as to roughly check thickness of the vessel designed by manufacturer.

In countries where Chemical Industry is not well developed, it may not be good to sacrifice practical knowledge (such as strength of materials-elementary mechanical design) in favor of more sophisticated subjects. Operations need broad practical knowledge above all. I would be glad to see a more practical spirit in the Chemical Engineering lessons. But, at least here, mechanical design (as mentioned above) is considered as "field" of Mechanical Engineer. Just 50 years ago Greek Chemical Engineers had legal ability (and evidently knowledge) to make the statics of 2 floor house, then this was canceled since it was "field" of Civil Engineering.

#92 Selva.sb

Selva.sb

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:16 AM

Hi Pls send to me also
my mail Id is selva.sb@gmail.com

Thanks in advance
Regards,
Selva

#93 ashishpvnit

ashishpvnit

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:00 AM

Dear Experts,

I am beginer in Pressure Vessel.Can any body send me Design excel sheet for Pressure vessel.

#94 ashishpvnit

ashishpvnit

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:02 AM

Dear Experts,

I am beginer in Pressure Vessel.Can any body send me Design excel sheet for Pressure vessel.

#95 Limilicious

Limilicious

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:45 PM

Rahul:

I don't understand what you mean by "same". Can you be specific?

As I've explained in detail: you can download my workbook directly. Just go to the indicated post.

Why do you post your email?

I think its not just reading the last few posts, its more like only reading the first few posts; specifically only up to the post where you said to post their email and you will email it to them.

While I am not designing a pressure vessel, I do have a question about pressure vessels and equipments that operate under pressure. You design these equipment/vessels such that they are meant to not fail or if they do fail nothing horrible happens. For example, you design the equipment to withstand more than the design pressure. You also include pressure relief valves and other many safety precautions as needed. But accidents happen and enivitably they will fail somehow.

Let me get this out of the way, I am not dealing with a project or problem that have anything to do with pressure vessel or equipments that operates under a high pressure. I'm just wondering about the general arrangement of these equipments.

For example, you have propane tanks for your barbeque stove. These propane tanks have liquefied propane; meaning that they are compressed to stay at that state. If you have a tank farm for these in a plant or any pressurized gas to liquid, are there any regulations or specific spacing between each one? I believe there is. How about simply pressure vessels within a process and not a tank farm? Would you separate this pressure vessel away from the other processes?

How about reactors that are exothermic? Meaning the pressure inside the vessel will build up and the temperature also goes up. It'll probably be having a nice cooling jacket around it as well as pressure safety precautions installed. But I'm wondering if you would place this reactor rather "isolated" or simply along with the other process equipments.

#96 rowanlim

rowanlim

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:11 AM

Dear Art,

Thank you for your input on this issue. As a fresh ChE graduate, I agree that the syllabus of the course today is not, as you pointed out, diversified enough. During my internship (until now) I realized that the course covers a scope that's too "brief"; everything you mentioned in the example of sizing a pressure vessel was exactly everything I didn't know until my internship. Subjects like Material Science is important but in my experience, it wasn't given enough emphasis, and fresh grads like myself won't know how important it is to select the right material, the right vessel orientation until it's pointed out to us.

I especially agree with your statement (highlighted in bold) that we have to be more proactive & have the initiative to learn more & mesh our knowledge with other disciplines. This is a principle that many seniors in my company hold fast to & we are constantly encouraged to learn more not just of ChE but also of other fields. I guess this means the only way to be a really good engineer is to have a broad mindset & a passion to learn.

I've a long way to go then :lol:

#97 inedia Figure

inedia Figure

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:45 AM

hello sir,
i am a student of mechanical engineering from India & sir pls send me spreadsheet on my mail id-malhotravrun01@gmail.com.i shell be very thankful to you.
Regard,
Varun

#98 Florentina

Florentina

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:11 AM

Hello Art,
Thank you for the excel program with vessel volume. I want to make a remark...the program is protected and I want to see the formulas you used. So, please give us the password.

Best regards,
Florentina

#99 tarafdar

tarafdar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

This indicates Chemical Engineers should have some more Mechanical Engineering in there syllabus,which they are lacking now.And thanks Mr. Montemayor.

#100 Usman Javaid

Usman Javaid

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:06 AM

Dear ART,
I am too intrested in your workbook for mechanical design. I will be grateful to you if you forward the workbook.
My name - Syed Usman Javaid
Country - Pakistan
Mail address: usman.uet@hotmail.com.

Regards,
Syed Usman Javaid