Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Sizing A Rotary Drum Filter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_ak_*

Guest_ak_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:47 AM

How should I design a rotary filter drum for flows of 1000kg/h of solids and 37kg/h of solids respectivly? (The total flow is about 8000kg/h)
How large are typical rotary drums that are easy to get?
How thick does the cake need to be to be able to peel it off?
How do I decide the submergence in the solution and the speed of rotation?

Would be thankful for any hint!

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 02:02 PM

Let's get to your questions, one-by-one:

1) How should I design a rotary filter drum for flows of 1000kg/h of solids and 37kg/h of solids respectivly?

I've never heard of any engineer (without prior experience and know-how) designing a very specialized piece of equipment, such as a rotary filter, and doing it successfully. This type of equipment is researched, tested, evaluated and tested again - on different types of feeds. There are no "public domain" equations of state, or magical formulas to calculate the filter. You basically do it by experience and know-how - both of which are normally 100% proprietary.

2) How large are typical rotary drums that are easy to get?

That all depends on what you consider "easy" to get. I would obtain or purchase a rotary filter from a proven and recognized supplier with years of experience.

3) How thick does the cake need to be to be able to peel it off?

That depends on what materials you are feeding and how fast. This takes extensive testing and researching.

4) How do I decide the submergence in the solution and the speed of rotation?

This is proprietary type of information and just can't be generalized. Again, I would go to a recognized manufacturer.

If you got this type of a student problem from a Chemical Engineering professor, shame on him/her. As a student, you probably don't know the depth of specialization involved in this type of equipment. This is not like designing a distillation tower or a heat exchanger. As a student, you simply don't have enough basic data to start (& much less finish) a serious design - one that is credible.

Can you be more specific as to why you are asking these questions?