Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Butane Addition To Gasoline

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Ankur Shah

Ankur Shah

Gold Member

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:38 AM

hey!

I am just reading that butane is added to gasoline in winters. how true is this? where is this done? and is volatility the issue here?

Ankur

#2 abhi_agrawa

abhi_agrawa

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:08 PM

If butane is added to gasoline, it will lower the RVP. This will ensure that during the cold-startup of the vehicle, enough vapor is present for the vehicle to start. I do not know where it is done, but I think that this should be the case in cold countries.

#3 mbeychok

mbeychok

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 364 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:58 PM

Ankur:

(1) Butane addition will increase the gasoline vapor pressure ... not lower it!
(2) All gasoline has some butane in it. In cold weather areas, refiners will blend in additional butane to increase the vapor pressure to make sure that auto engines will start during the cold weather. In the USA, we sometimes refer to "summer grade" and "winter grade" gasolines. Some of our states even have regulations concerning the vapor pressure levels required for summer and winter grades.

#4 Guest_malika_*

Guest_malika_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:52 AM

Hey thats very interesting..is a lot added? And doesn't it affect the back pressures or lubrication using gasoline through the engine?

#5 Ankur Shah

Ankur Shah

Gold Member

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 12:36 PM

hey!

i got this clarified with a certain person in my dept. he gave a longer answer. he said...

butane is cheap and hence the more of it that can be pumped into gasoline the better. now, gasoline has a particular max Reid Vapour Pressure (RVP) which needs to be maintained. In winters, the RVP of gasoline falls and hence butane is added as its volatility is higher. hence, as far as the rvp is not exceeded, it is fine to add butane.

so i guess the answer to the last question is that it would depend on the place where u are.

can someone from the US tell me if there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in the price of summer and winter gasoline? i cant say with regards to india simply because the prices increase every week here... any comments?

Ankur