Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Shell And Tube Heat Exchanger Design

heat exchanger design

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ChemEng Student

ChemEng Student

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

I need to design a heat exchanger between two streams of brine solution.( cp = 3.1KJ/kgK ) The mass flowrate of each stream is 65 kg/s. Hot stream going from 100 - 70 C and cold from 30 - 60 C. 

So Q = 6045kW.

I think i am going to design a Fixed tube plate shell and tube heat exchanger. Could somebody please give me a step by step design. including all the calculations and actual numbers used.

Thanks.

#2 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

The following might be a good read for you. There are also many other threads that can be of help to you.

Attached Files

#3 Steve Hall

Steve Hall

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

Good article, thorium.

The Heat Exchanger chapter in my book includes a condensed step-by-step algorithm for designing S/T heat exchangers for liquid-liquid service, complete with accompanying spreadsheet that does all of the calculations and prepares a TEMA datasheet.

www.pipesizingsoftware.com/book

Edited by Steve Hall, 11 March 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#4 Raj Mehta

Raj Mehta

Gold Member

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

A lot of design guidance is available on internet as well as in many books (kern's, RC-6, etc.) for the design of heat exchanger. Just google it and you'll get what you want.  :)

Steve & thorium has shared very good data. 

Enjoy. 

#5 Shivshankar

Shivshankar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:24 AM

Hi,

Hope this helps

http://nptel.iitm.ac...es/103103027/11

Regards

Shivshankar

#6 ChemEng Student

ChemEng Student

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

Hi

can someone please help me find data for the overall heat transfer coefficient (W/m2K) in a shell and tube heat exchanger when hot stream and cold stream is a brine solution.

Thanks

#7 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

Ian:

You are probably a student trying to solve your heat exchanger problem.  You have come to the right Forums, but your topic is a different one from this thread's.  You should start your own thread that specifically addresses your topic.  By posting your query here, you are "skyjacking" the thread.

However, your query is an interesting and important one that can easily be addressed by going to Steve Hall's great website (noted above in his hyperlink) and reading about what his very important book for young engineers is all about.  Also, there you can download some of Steve's excellent and profitable workbooks that help you design various pieces of equipment - especially heat exchangers.  Use Steve's workbook on heat exchangers and you will learn a lot about heat exchangers while designing one.