Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Alternatives To Steam For Heating

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 shpereira

shpereira

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:53 AM

I have a super critical CO2 plant. Twice a week, boiler undergoes cleaning and hence steam is cut off for 4 hours a week. In order to avoid steam cut off, is there any other method I can use to keep temperature of 4000m3 of ordinary water at 45-55 deg C by using a safe, shock proof system? The water is recirculated to a double pipe heat exchanger and hence I need to maintain hot water inlet supply. Should be cost effective and safe too. Thanks Sharon

#2 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

Buy a back-up boiler.

#3 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

Shpereira:

I don’t understand what you mean by “a super critical CO2 plant” or the importance of having 55 oC water constantly available.  But I think I can guess: you produce a stream of supercritical CO2 for either transport purposes or for processing the oils or other ingredients from a mixture by selectively dissolving them in the SC CO2.  Either way, you must ensure that the CO2 is kept in the SC state and for that you need a constant heat source.  You normally use saturated steam to heat the CO2 and are looking for an alternate method.

What I would do is identify the RATE of heat transfer that you need.  You haven’t told us that and it is the measure that is of most importance.  To find that out, multiply the flow rate of CO2 that you have above the critical pressure (approx. 980 psia) by the enthalpy difference of it at that state and the heated state that you need to ensure that it is supercritical.  This heat load capacity will indicate to you the relative size of the method you need to heat up the flowing stream.  If if is relatively low, you might be able to justify an electric immersion heater – such as a Chromalox type.

If you don’t know how to do the calculations, tell us:

1. The flow rate of your CO2 stream;
  2. The cold state of your CO2 (the pressure and temperature);
  3. The desired heated state of your CO2 (the pressure and temperature).

#4 ramsingh_mech

ramsingh_mech

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

Is it a chemical cleaning?, what type of cleaning your boiler required(twice a week) , is that type of cleaning cant be be operate online??? (Online cleaning- You can clean your boiler parts online while running with out shutdown). 

Edited by ramsingh_mech, 05 April 2013 - 12:15 AM.