Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Increasing Flow Through Control Valve

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 RachelZ

RachelZ

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

Hi all,

I'm working on a project and have managed to royally confuse myself.

I'm resizing a pump for a cooling water system. The cooling water passes through a control valve that is currently calibrated for a maximum flow of 200 gpm. Can I increase the flow through the valve to 800 gpm without completely replacing the valve? It seems to me that the head from the pump should be able to force that much through but I'm really not sure.

Thanks.

#2 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

Maybe, a fluid flow analysis of the cooling water system is needed to know for sure.

#3 chemproc

chemproc

Gold Member

• Store Customers
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

Can you show some pictures? Also, If the maximum flow through the valve is 200 gpm then forcing 800 gpm through it might not be such a good idea

#4 RachelZ

RachelZ

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

I really was just wondering if it was possible it all. It sounds like from what you guys have said that it IS possible but maybe not a good engineering decision. Thanks!

#5 meetyourmaker

meetyourmaker

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

increasing the flow through the existing valve by a factor of 4 willl require an increase in pressure drop through the valve by a factor of 4^2. I dont think this valve will work. A very large pump will be required and valve upstream piping design pressures will have to be checked

#6 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

It really depends on what you have.  I've seen 3" to 6" control valves that have 2-4 choices of trim.  Each step up has a Cv about 1.5X the previous one.  If you have a "big' control valve for your service with a "small" trim, you might have a shot.  This is the kind of thing that would be done if one used multi-generational planning,  Realistically though, the chances of a trim change and getting 4X the flow is pretty small.  Thus, the need for a fluid flow analysis.

#7 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:36 PM

As stated by others fluid flow analysis is required , a sketch and a pump curve will be of great help !

Breizh 

#8 adewumi_bj

adewumi_bj

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

If the pump can produce your desired new capacity without going out of it's efficiency range I will suggest you change your existing valve plug to a quick opening type or find a way of increasing your pump's suction velocity head.

#9 Atttyub194

Atttyub194

Gold Member

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:45 AM

Dear RachelZ

Good day!

Lets first come to the conclusion first , my first answer is probably no.

Now let us describe, why.

1. While specifying a valve at pump for cooling water system, we normally use minimum opening of 15-25 %  depending on valve design and maximum opening of 75-80 % . Beyond this range, increase in valve opening will not effect increase in flow and below this range you may observe severe pitting and damage to valve due to cavitation
  2. Specifying a valve for cooling water service our choice is always a cheapest valve and also there is always a limit to pressure drop and such valves are limited by critical pressure drop and metallurgy of the plugs and internals
  3. It is not important at what range you have calibrated the valve but the most important aspect is at what percentage opening you are operating the valve and how far you are from 100 % opening
  4. In case of cooling water , the increase in flow in only possible by reducing pressure drop across valve
  5. My observations can be confirmed from supplier submitted graph of CV versus pressure drop for this specific valve
  6. Even incase you are able to increase the flow by increasing pressure drop please do check the economics due to increase in power versus cost of valve
  7. I will be in better position to comment if you can share the specification of the valve and the scheme

Best regards and God Bless You

#10 S.AHMAD

S.AHMAD

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 786 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:09 AM   Best Answer

My view are as below:

1. If you are using existing pump, most probably the answer is a big NO,

2. On the other hand, if you are selecting and sizing a new pump, then the answer is possible.

3. Let me explain:

the basic flow valve equation is:

Q = Cv x SQRT(DP/SG)

If we are using the same valve, that means Cv is equal and for the same liquid then SG is also equal. Using this equation then you can determine the additional pump head required to deliver the volume:

DPnew = DPold x Square(800/200).

I hope you get what I mean....