Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Need Tutorial For Installing Crude Assay In Hysys For Simulation Of Co

refinery oil column hysys simulation designing oil refinery

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 sunny0

sunny0

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:57 AM

Hi,

I am going to simulate the Atmospheric column in HYSYS.

But before this i have to define the crude & have to install it in the HYSYS.

So require some tutorial through which i can learn how to install crude assay in Hysys.

Thankyou in Advance.

Kind Regards,

Sunny.

#2 NAP

NAP

Gold Member

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

No need for a tutorial...its a 15 min job.

I will give you a step by step procedure tomorrow.

In the mean time, please refer to another thread I have opened about CDU simulation.

You could share your experience and insights with us...

#3 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:57 AM

Hi,

Refer Hysys Tutorials guide, where Crude Unit Simulation is an example and adequate steps are explained.

#4 NAP

NAP

Gold Member

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:54 AM   Best Answer

As padmakar said, you can refer to HYSYS tutorial.

I will list down the steps anyway:

1. Enter HYSYS oil manager through simulation basis manager - oil environment button

2. Under "assay" tab (first tab) click on "add" button which will then open input data window for a new assay. Give a title to your assay at bottom field

3. For bulk properties, select "used" option and then fill all the data available on the right hand such as mol. wt., UOPK, visc etc

4. For assay data type, select "TBP" option which is generally available. Once you select TBP, a few more options will appear below and a table on the right side to enter assay % vs temp data. (you have to hit "edit assay" button to enter the vol% vs TBP data)

5. For light ends, select "input composition" which will then make a third bullet appear on right for light ends. Once you select this bullet, you can enter vol% of light components obtained from assay data

6. You can follow the same procedure for mol. wt, density and viscosity curve fields and enter whatever data is available with you in the assay.

7. Hit calculate.

8. Under oil charecterization window, go to the next tab of "blend". Hit add button. This will show you the available assay that you just calculated. Add this assay as a blend component and give the flowrate that you are going to work with  (ex. 200000 bpd). Give a title to your blend and close the blend window which will take you back to oil charecterization window.

9. Go to the last tab of "install oil" which should show you the blend that you just created. Check the "ready" "install" boxes. type a name under "stream name" field like "Cold crude" which will then appear as a stream in your main simulation window.

#5 sunny0

sunny0

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:03 AM

I really appreciate your replies NAP. :)

I am new to HYSYS.

You can say its my learning phase on HYSYS.

I need some more information on Oil Manager.

Like i need some file where all the parameters of Oil Manager are explained so i can understand.

I am bit confused either to select Bulk Properties or some other ...

And should i define light ends of crude or HYSYS will itself detect the crude components...

So i need very basic file indicating these minor parameters for beginner.

Kind Regards,

Sunny.

#6 NAP

NAP

Gold Member

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:27 AM

I am not sure where to get the literature file you are looking for. HYSYS help file is probably the best bet.

You should use whatever properties bulk or otherwise that availble to you for defining the crude stream More the data..better the charecterization

You have to define the light ends (Starting from C1 to C5) in terms of vol % while creating an assay to get a good crude charecterization.

#7 sunny0

sunny0

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:23 AM

Thankyou for your replies NAP.

Hey kindly see my latest post it will be great if you can help in this post as well.

http://www.cheresour...actor-in-hysys/

Edited by sunny0, 05 October 2013 - 01:49 AM.

#8 dodo waheed

dodo waheed

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:18 PM

hi , all , hope fine , i have problem and i need help , i have crude oil assay and the Tpb curve in volume and by ml (mille litre) then when i want to install it in hysys i found that i must but the data by ppm or by fraction or by percent and i don't know how to convert the ml in the assay to ppm or percent or fraction ?

#9 dodo waheed

dodo waheed

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

hi , all , hope fine , i have problem and i need help , i have crude oil assay and the Tpb curve in volume and by ml (mille litre) then when i want to install it in hysys i found that i must but the data by ppm or by fraction or by percent and i don't know how to convert the ml in the assay to ppm or percent or fraction ?

Attached Files

#10 aroon

aroon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

Dodo,

As your basis is 100 ml for TBP vaporization, you should treat "Recovery" column in attachment as volume %. So the data should be Volume % vs Temperature. However, don't forget to change Assay basis to "Volume" instead of "Mole" which is presently selected in the Assay window.

Also please try to raise separate post instead of mixing post in another post, as this is not the right way to have a query or question.

Cheers ..

#11 aroon

aroon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

Thankyou for your replies NAP.

Hey kindly see my latest post it will be great if you can help in this post as well.

http://www.cheresour...actor-in-hysys/

Sunny,

Keyns's reply is only the answer to your question.

And also the fact is that modelling of FCC reaction is not that simple task. There are thousands of reactions and thousands of unknown components involved in the reactor with very rarely available kinetic data. All this data is only available with Technology vendors (like UOP).

So i would suggest you to define one additional assay for reactor outlet stream. for which you may need further data of the reactor outlet stream.

Hope this may be useful for you!

#12 ALMASOUD

ALMASOUD

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:13 AM

HI everybody

True Boiling Point (TBP) Distillation Data - Sample

Sl. No.      Vapour Temperature      % Mass       % Volume

1                gas                                       3.31               4.47

2                 15 - 60                                7.18               8.96

3                 60 - 85                                 9.49             10.40

4                  85 - 100                              6.87              7.36

19               550 + Residue                    7.17                 5.7

MY question  is ,i need to input tTBP data to HYSYS  aginest volume %, but i have the temperature as range , how can i convert the temperature to individuel temperature.

Please help.

#13 Profe

Profe

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:40 AM

Hi Almasoud

I Think that the attached excel file maybe help your question. The same procedure for mass and volume.Attached File  North Slope Alaska Crude problem.xlsx   35.33KB   104 downloads

Good luck

Fausto

Edited by Profe, 16 October 2015 - 08:59 AM.

#14 DANA-IF

DANA-IF

Gold Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:16 AM

Dear friends ;

I have an ASTM D86 distillation data from the laboratory 

the data contains :

initial boiling point (°C)

10% DISTILLATION TEMPERATURE (°C)

20% DISTILLATION TEMPERATURE (°C)

50% DISTILLATION TEMPERATURE (°C)

90 % DISTILLATION TEMPERATURE (°C)

End point  (°C)

Residue    ( %V)

Loss       ( %V)

My questions are below : 

1) Does initial boiling point means at 0% cut point ?

2) Does initial boiling point means at 100% cut point ?

3) Does  the Residue    ( %V)  and Loss    ( %V) should be inputted in the oil manager , if yes where to input them exactly?

Im wondering if anyone could guide me please ?

Thanks a lot !

Regards !

#15 Profe

Profe

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:02 PM

Hi DANA-IF

For your question: for ASTM D 86

The initial boiling point means 0% Vol distilleted

The final boiling point means 100% vol distillated

For the last part, it est: % loss or % residue I don't know about the oil manager of Hysys

Good luck

Fausto

#16 ALMASOUD

ALMASOUD

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:59 AM

thank you so much Profe

I have taken the avarage poiling point as a mid point and input  in HYSYS againest cumalitive vol%.